Type of wire needed to run undergroud to garage?

Old 10-29-12, 05:12 PM
Type of wire needed to run undergroud to garage?

I'm looking for the type of wire I should use to run to my garage. I have the 14-2 and 12-2 wire for running to the plugs and lights, I just get lost in the confusing codes of the other wires. The garage is 120ft away from house. I will be running some big equipment (Compressor, 110 welder), and plan on slowly upgrading some equipment in the future, so overkill would be nice. Our panel in the house is a 200A panel.

**If its gonna be a huge hassel to wire for the overkill, I won't bother, since I believe we are moving within the next year or so, I would just like power there until then. I could live with just running the 110 welder and compressor, even if it can't be one at a time.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-12, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like you would be okay with a 60* amp feed to a subpanel. I'd suggest one inch conduit with individual wires not cable. You would need two #6 black (or one one each black and red) one #6 white and one #10 green, a total of four THWN wires.

*You may be able to get by with a 30 amp feed but we can't say till you give us the actual amps of the equipment

Old 10-30-12, 01:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In addition to Ray's comments, having a proper subfeed to the garage will not only help with the present needs, it will help when selling the house in the next year or so. Knowing the garage didn't have sufficient, or non-existent power would possibly be a turn off to potential buyers.

Old 10-31-12, 03:18 PM
I don't have the specifics on the tools as they are at my aunt's place right now, but I thing 60A should suffice. I plan on putting in a proper subpanel aswell, and having a pro wire the subpanel and wire it into the main panel. Do you have any idea of a website that sells those wires, I'm just looking for a general price range of what I'm going to be paying.

Old 10-31-12, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
You can look at either Lowes or Home Depot for approximate prices but most pros will want to provide the materials, not use what you bought, and the cost of materials will be included with the job estimate. Primary expense will be labor not materials. This is a very doable DIY job if you want to do it yourself.