Is Schneider watering down Square D QO offerings?

Old 10-29-12, 10:28 PM

My main panel, subpanel in my workshop, and currently inactive subpanel for an old pool that was taken out are all Square D QO. Since most of my lower-amp breakers are an old "piggyback" (like this: Square D Type QO 20A 20 Amp Twin Tandem Circuit Breaker Guaranteed QO2020 OS | eBay ) I've been looking into my options for down the road. I have higher amp double-pole breakers also with this tandem arrangement, in 30A, for water heaters, air handlers, and the like. Essentially two higher voltage 240V devices on two panel positions.

I had looked into more modern tandems, including the modern QO20303020, but they're not stocked anywhere in town at all that I've been able to find, and they're godawful expensive...

Right now I have two quad-30 breakers in four spaces, four dual-20-tandem breakers, and four dual-15-tandem breakers. Eventually I assume that I'll need four QO20303020, and four modern 15-tandems.

A loss of a 30A breaker seemingly will require at least two 20303020s...

The main panel is integrated with the meter box and service connection, up from the ground. Would it be cheaper or more expensive to replace the whole thing? At $135 each I'll have to spend $540 plus shipping for just parts to get those four...

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-12, 11:37 PM
Would it be cheaper or more expensive to replace the whole thing? At $135 each I'll have to spend $540 plus shipping for just parts to get those four...
You should be able to buy five new panels for the money you're looking at for parts.

Old 10-30-12, 08:35 AM
I just quickly pulled up Home Depot's website, their have a Square D 200A 40 position load center for about $325, but it appears to come empty. Does any Square D distributor sell a loaded or somewhat loaded panel with most of the common breakers?

I figured out why the breakers that I'd need are so expensive. The QOT series is the current Class-CTL tandem breaker, while any straight QO tandem breaker (note no "T" on part number) are the previous non-Class-CTL style. Even though my house was built in 1979, it appears that it uses a whole lot of non-Class-CTL breakers.

Old 10-30-12, 12:56 PM
I just quickly pulled up Home Depot's website, their have a Square D 200A 40 position load center for about $325, but it appears to come empty.
I was actually thinking of one from Eaton Cutler-Hammer: Eaton 200-Amp 30-Space 40-Circuit Type-BR Main Breaker Load Center Value Pack Includes 4 BreakersI'm glad to see they now have it for less than $100.

But you specifically asked about Square D: Square D by Schneider Electric Homeline 200 Amp 30-Space 40-Circuit Indoor Main Breaker Load Center with Cover Value Pack. $10 more than the Eaton C-H one but with two more single-pole breakers. $5 each for a couple of (probably) 120V 15A breakers. Meh.

I found both of these "at" my local HD. I've found that HD - and I'm guessing Lowe's would be the same - "carries" more items at local stores than on their national or world-wide web site. A matter of stocking and shipping costs, I'm sure, in addition to not wanting to undercut their walk-in stores.

Old 10-30-12, 07:34 PM
So, what do you mean? What exactly is the question pertaining to the title of the thread?

But you specifically asked about Square D: Square D by Schneider Electric Homeline 200 Amp 30-Space 40-Circuit Indoor Main Breaker Load Center with Cover Value Pack. $10 more than the Eaton C-H one but with two more single-pole breakers. $5 each for a couple of (probably) 120V 15A breakers.
The Homeline would be the competitive aluminum bus series residential panel. The OP was asking about the QO series copper bus line. The Homeline series is perfectly acceptable for most residential applications, but I would choose copper bus over aluminum for my own home.

Old 10-31-12, 06:19 PM
The Homeline would be the competitive aluminum bus series residential panel. The OP was asking about the QO series copper bus line. The Homeline series is perfectly acceptable for most residential applications, but I would choose copper bus over aluminum for my own home.
Oh, OK. Then let's show him one of those: Square D by Schneider Electric QO 200 Amp 30-Space 40-Circuit Indoor Main Breaker Load Center with Cover Value Pack.

Less than $175 with two 2-pole breakers and 3 single-pole breakers included.