Blue Line vs. Blue Pennant Line

Old 10-30-12, 08:14 AM
Blue Line vs. Blue Pennant Line (ITE/Siemens compatibility)

I have an ITE Blue Line Loadcenter panel and need to replace a breaker. I realize that Siemens bought ITE, and Home Depot carries a Siemens breaker that is spec'd for 'Blue Pennant Line' panels. Is there a difference? The breakers look identical except the Siemens one is about 1/8" longer on the terminal side (the bottom of the breakers including the bus bar contacts are exactly the same). I have also seen ads on Kijiji and such for the original ITE breakers indicating that they are for Blue Line or Blue Pennant Line pannels.

Last edited by rwiens; 10-30-12 at 08:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-12, 06:14 PM
Is the breaker you want a plug-in breaker or a bolt-in breaker? What is the "Type" listed on the label?

Old 10-31-12, 05:59 AM
It is a type 'BL' breaker, plug-in style.

Old 10-31-12, 06:12 PM
It is a type 'BL' breaker, plug-in style.
Type BL Siemens breakers are the bolt-in type. Can you post a picture of the breaker with the label showing? My first guess was that what you need is a Type QP Siemens, but I am not for sure as I never heard of "Blue Line" or "Blue Pennant Line" loadcenters. That might be a Canadian thing.

Old 11-01-12, 07:50 AM
Here is a pic of the breaker, as well as the panel it came from (although the label is cutoff in the picture so maybe not helpful).

The only label on the breaker has a BL on it, and it is clearly a plug-in breaker made by ITE (Canada) Ltd.

Also, here is a link to the Siemens breaker I think is a substitute:

Siemens | Single Pole 15A Type BL Branch Circuit Breaker for Blue Pennant, 120/240V | Home Depot Canada

In the description it references both BL and 'simple plug-in installation', so maybe BL means something different in Canada (I thought it was simply an acronym for BlueLine).

Attached Images   
Old 11-01-12, 05:58 PM
In the description it references both BL and 'simple plug-in installation', so maybe BL means something different in Canada (I thought it was simply an acronym for BlueLine).
I think you hit on it, it's a Canadian thing. I have never seen a ITE or Siemens breaker like that in this country. This is a U.S. Type BL Siemens breaker.

B120 Type BL Breaker by SIEMENS

Old 11-02-12, 11:05 AM
Not the first time I have seen this...lots of product have different names/model numbers in Canada for some reason, even if they are exactly the same product.

In any case, the various pieces of evidence lead me to believe the Siemens breaker is a substitute for the original so I put it in and it fits perfectly and works fine.

Next time I bump into a Canadian electrician I will ask them.