GE SunSmart Digital Timer - questions with the wiring

Old 10-30-12, 07:54 PM
GE SunSmart Digital Timer - questions with the wiring

Hi all,

I have questions with installing the digital timer that i purchased. I am not too sure what I should do with the blue, black, green, white and red wire from the timer. There are 3 wires from end (black, white, and paper wrap wire), and 2 wires (black and paper wrap). I wondered how I am suppose to connect those wire? Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-12, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
Is this for a 3-way switch circuit? What does the instructions say. The green is ground and is not a factor it sinply goes to the green. The white obviously goes to the neutral if you have a neutral*. The three hot wires though, blue, black, red seem to indicate this is designes for a 3-way circuit. Do the instructions say it will also work on a non 3-way circuit?

*If you don't have a neutral this switch won't work. The fact you have a white wire does not necessary mean you have a neutral. However I see two cables so I assume you do have a neutral.

There are 3 wires from end (black, white, and paper wrap wire
Not a paper wrapped wire. The paper should be removed. That is your (bare) ground wire.

Old 10-30-12, 09:45 PM
oh so the paper wrap is the ground wire. I am trying to identify which wire goes to which, and i am not too sure which one to connect to. Should I bridge the 2 ground wire with the green ground wire from the timer?

The timer I got can be used as a single switch. The link below is the wire diagram, please let me know how I should do it. Thanks

http://www.jascoproducts.com/support...de-eng-spa.pdf

Old 10-31-12, 06:43 AM
Group Moderator
Should I bridge the 2 ground wire with the green ground wire from the timer?
Yes.

Okay by the diagram black is line, blue is load, red is capped and not used. You need to determine which cable is the hot (power in) by disconnecting each cable and measuring between the black and white of each cable with an analog multimeter or test light but NOT a non contact tester.

Connections as follows:
All whites connected together.
Hot black (power in) to dimmer black.
Black to light to dimmer blue.
All grounds connected together.