Outlets and light switches not working trouble shooting?

Old 10-30-12, 09:34 PM
Outlets and light switches not working trouble shooting?

Here is were I am and what I have done so far. I replaced all five outlets in one room and one light switch in that room (Regular bedroom) after doing so the lights and outlet no longer work including the two light switches in the bathroom next to that room. I have checked the GFCI in that bathroom and every room in the house and have determined that no GFCI is in that circuit. So I used an outlet tester to see if the outlets were wired correctly all outlet read Hot/Ground Reversed in the one room I changed. So I pulled all outlets back off after reading that back stabs can be unreliable and moved all wires to the screws on the outlets and switches in that circut including the second bedroom attached in that circuit.

After doing this all outlets read correct in both rooms until I tried turning the lights on, at which point they all went back to reading hot/ground reverse in the room with the issue (light still didn't work). What should be my next steps?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-12, 03:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! From your symptoms, I gather you didn't make a one wire-for-wire change with each unit. It does seem to boil down to the switch. On any receptacle, especially on the same wall as the switch, does the receptacle have a red wire going to it, and was the tab between the top and bottom screws broken? With the power off, pull the wiring and switch from the box and post a picture of what you have. Also check the receptacles for red wires. It is code that all rooms that don't have overhead lighting, must have a switch controlled receptacle.

Old 10-31-12, 07:49 AM
Sorry but the picture will not upload do to size constraints. With the switch pulled away from the wall what I'm seeing is one black wire from the wall going into the top screw and the bottom black wire attached to the switch feeds into a set of wires that go back into the wall (a junction) there is no ground or red wire. The room does have an overhead light and none of the outlets have red wires. Also there is no broken tabs.

Old 10-31-12, 08:08 AM
Group Moderator
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

The trouble is almost always at the last good receptacle on a circuit or the first dead one when this happens. Do you know the path of the circuit here?

Old 10-31-12, 08:12 AM
Group Moderator
Does the switch control the overhead light and nothing else?

With an analog multimeter make the following voltage checks at a receptacle with the light off the repeat with the light on:
Black>White
Black>Ground
White>Ground
Post the results.

It sounds like a mis-connection at the switch.

Upload your photos to Photobucket or Imageshack and post the URL labeled Direct Link.

Old 10-31-12, 10:23 AM
OK, went to the store this morning and picked up both an Analog Meter and a AC Voltage Detector. I have not moved or touched anything on the circuit since last night. I checked the lights and outlets before I left (not working) and when I returned all worked and all had correct readings as listed below from post by ray2047. Outlet tester even read everything is correct on all outlets??? I'm very confused could this be related to the breaker panel?
The light switch:

Last edited by ray2047; 10-31-12 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Embed image.
Old 10-31-12, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
AC Voltage Detector.
If you mean a non contact tester I suggest you return it. The analog multimeter is more useful and doesn't give false readings the way non contact tester does.

Switch looks okay. Tell us the wiring at the light.

Old 10-31-12, 12:46 PM
It is a contact Multimeter not a none contact and I just pulled the light fixture apart it is a light only and it only has wires going to it none going back into the ceiling. One hot, one neutral, and one ground. All wires look clean with no visible burn marks and nuts are tight with clean connections. Also, light switches are not working again and outlet went back to reading reverse hot/grnd.

Old 10-31-12, 01:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tighten the screws up on the switch. Hopefully all will continue to work well.

Old 10-31-12, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
First you wrote:
picked up both an Analog Meter and a AC Voltage Detector.
then you replied:
It is a contact Multimeter not a none contact
I wasn't talking about the multimeter. I was referring to the "AC voltage detector".

outlet went back to reading reverse hot/grnd.
If you are using a plug in tester I'd ignore it. They sometimes give a false reading.

Remove the two black wires from the switch, wire nut them together. and see what happens. Also try putting a new wire nut on the bundle of white wires in the back of the switch box.

You said you had a ground at the light. I'm not seeing grounds at the switch in your picture. Are they there? Do you have grounds correctly connected at each receptacle?