Mystery connection

Old 11-01-12, 07:59 AM
Mystery connection

I was troubleshooting a flaky breaker, so I was looking at my panel with the cover removed for the first time since I bought the house. I noticed a double-pole connection (in the top right hand corner of the attached picture) using really heavy gauge multi-strand wire and first thought it must be the supply line until I realized that didn't make sense.

The 220V appliances (dryer, oven) are already accounted for elsewhere in the panel. Water heater is gas. What else could this be (it is not labelled on the panel)? It is on a double 40A breaker.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-12, 10:39 AM
Could be the A/C? Mine is only a 30 amp, but I'm sure there are larger ones out there.

Old 11-01-12, 11:22 AM
It could be almost anything. Do you have another panel somewhere in the house or perhaps a garage? Is there a junction box near the water heater? Another location that might have had a kitchen range or the like? Have you tried turning it off and seeing what doesn't work, if anything?

By the way, those connector clamps where the non-metallic cables enter the panel enclosure are the incorrect type. You have conduit type connectors instead of cable clamps.

Old 11-01-12, 11:31 AM
The 220V appliances (dryer, oven) are already accounted for elsewhere in the panel... What else could this be (it is not labelled on the panel)? It is on a double 40A breaker.
I notice that you mentioned the oven, but not the cooktop.

Two suggestions: That blue cable is really distinctive and easy to see. When you trace it as far as you can, where is it heading - and what large loads might be connected in the part of the house it is feeding into?

Also, I notice that the 2-pole 40A breaker is switched ON. What do you lose when you switch it OFF?

Tech Note: You don't have 220V power in your house. You have a single-phase 240V service.

Old 11-01-12, 11:33 AM
By the way, those connector clamps where the non-metallic cables enter the panel enclosure are the incorrect type. You have conduit type connectors instead of cable clamps.
They appear to be overfilled as well. There should be no more than two 2-conductor cables entering through any one cable clamp.

Old 11-01-12, 06:06 PM
It's hard to tell for sure, they might even be armored cable connectors, but they definitely aren't meant for NM cables.

Old 11-01-12, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Note: The OP is in Canada. The installation may have been OK at the time of installation.

I also suggest shutting it off and see what dumps. it could be a well, septic, heater, etc