Ceiling Fan Wired Improperly

Old 11-01-12, 10:55 PM
Ceiling Fan Wired Improperly

I was replacing the ceiling fan in my kitchen and you would not believe what I found. First let me tell you the set up. The light on the fan is controlled by 2 three way switches. The fan is controlled by a single switch. All switches are in different locations. Ok, now on to the problem. Their are two runs of 12-2 coming out of the ceiling. One for the light, one for the fan. The neutral and the ground on the fan cable have been cut off, leaving just the hot wire. If I am correct, I do not believe this is code. Shouldn't the neutral return be contained within the same cable? How can I correct this atrocity?

The fixture only has one neutral from what I can tell. Ordinarily I would connect the separate neutrals to their respective devices(fan and light), but I can only find one neutral on the fixture. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-12, 12:47 AM
Well, my impatience got the best of me. I don't think anyone is up at this hour to reply to my post, so I took matters into my own hands.

I went ahead and opened up the fan in order to run another neutral down to the light fixture. This proved to be more difficult than I had anticipated, but after a few minutes of pushing and pulling, I was successful.

I had to remove a staple in the ceiling in order to get enough cable to come through for the "new" neutral line. I was only able to get about 3 1/2-4 inches though. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I would have liked to have 6 inches of wire coming out of the cable, but there wasn't enough. I couldn't get my bearings up in the attic either. I didn't feel like putting on the respirator and shoveling insulation.

Also, the fan and light work great.

Old 11-02-12, 06:29 AM
Group Moderator
Shouldn't the neutral return be contained within the same cable?
It must by code to prevent overheating.

I was only able to get about 3 1/2-4 inches though.
You can pigtail a longer length.

I don't understand. Are you saying the fan and light were connected only to black wires, no white wires?

The fixture only has one neutral from what I can tell.
That is normal for a ceiling fan and light.