Dimmer causing TV interference

Old 11-02-12, 10:14 AM
Question Dimmer causing TV interference

My electrician installed some recessed lighting and a dimmer in our family room this week, and I'm now having a problem with interference (upwards-scrolling horizontal lines) showing up on my TV. The dimmer's setting doesn't appear to affect the lines, it's more an on/off thing: the scrolling lines are there when the lights are on, regardless of the dimmer's position, and not there at all when the lights are off.

I found other folks that seem to have had similar problems, and think I've narrowed it down to the dimmer switch itself: this result seems to be backed up by positioning an AM radio next to the dimmer switch. When the switch is on the radio picks up interference, and when the switch is off the radio is fine. It doesn't pick up interference anywhere else in the room.

I haven't been able to identify the exact dimmer switch the electrician has installed currently to check its specs, so my question is this... I understand that "low end" dimmers (which is probably what's there now) don't have a built-in RF filter. If I install a dimmer that does have a filter in it , should the interference problem go away? (I'm hesitant because I've already tried installing a separate cable-based RF filter between the TV and inbound FiOS line to no effect.)

From other posts, it also appears that replacing the dimmer completely for a regular switch would theoretically remove the issue but ideally I'd like to keep the dimmer if at all possible.

So if it is the dimmer switch, could someone possibly help me locate one (from a physical Lowe's or Home Depot stores, not online) that is 3-way and has an RF filter?

Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-12, 12:29 PM
i prefer Leviton dimmers although Lutron seem to be more plentiful in the mega-mart homecenters in my area. Stay away from any name that is not readily familiar to you.

Old 11-02-12, 12:43 PM
I was able to talk to the electrician and he confirmed that it's a Lutron switch, which is supposed to already have an interference filter installed. So unfortunately we're going to rip the dimmer out and go back to a regular switch. Oh well...

Old 11-02-12, 01:52 PM
Before doing that I would suggest that you try a different dimmer. It is possible the one installed is simply defective.