Water Damaged Electrical Equipment

Old 11-03-12, 08:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Water Damaged Electrical Equipment

For those affected by the recent flooding related to Hurricane Sandy, please refer to this from NEMA regarding flooded electrical equipment before restoring power.

Evaluating Water-Damaged Electrical Equipment

Last edited by Nashkat1; 10-20-13 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-03-12, 10:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You should make this a sticky for the time being.

Old 11-10-12, 03:24 AM
Received 22 Upvotes on 20 Posts
Still you may take the risk, just because its not covered by any insurance ... (I know, many of you will, right or wrong, it is a hope, and you want to test it.)

What to do?

Polluted water, sea water etc. is a kind of conductor, so if it has been exposed to polluted water, rinse well.. and do it again. Let it dry, and be sure it is really dry, so let it dry a little bit longer.

Ready for testing? where, how, what if it catch fire, how to protect against electric shock? What about harmful smoke or gases? Is it other risks?

You have to consider, and take care.

If it was me? I have a garage with concrete floor. The outlet is GFCI protected, and I have a fire extinguisher. I will not store anything flammable in the garage during test.

powers witch off -plug in wait a 1/2 minute if OK, plug out, switch on plug in, if OK try to test it out if its working. if OK let it run for a longer period (while you are testing another unit?)

Keep on until feeling safe to take it back home, or if deemed to be defect, cut the cord, and throw it away (follow local regulations for such waist).

Good luck.

dsk

Old 12-12-12, 11:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For New Jersey residents follow this link to the DCA web page for flood damaged homes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: