What is this?

Old 11-04-12, 09:53 AM
Question What is this?

I have just purchased a house built in 1957. In the very back of the house in the celling of the bedroom closet is this...

It has wires so it must be electrical. What is it?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-12, 10:13 AM
It looks like a door bell transformer to me. Kind of a strange place to find it, though. The wires that come out the front and dip back into the ceiling between the box and drywall are low voltage.

Old 11-04-12, 10:16 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello sherocks and Welcome to the site.

Looks like and most likely is a door bell transformer. Reduces house voltage (120 -140 volts approx) to a much lower voltage. Likely 24 volts. (A/C volts)

Old 11-04-12, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
Looks like they replaced a closet light with a door chime transformer. Odd indeed. Do you have a closet light?

Old 11-04-12, 11:08 AM
I do not have a light in the closet. Actually the closet is split. The bottom is a conventional closet. The top (above closet to celling) is a storage area. The top section has the transformer on the actual celling.
The best part about this is I have no wired doorbells at the doors. Just Radio Shack wireless (that don't work).

Thanks for clearing up the mistery. I'm sure you guys will become invaluable in the next few months.

Old 11-05-12, 09:00 AM
What about the thought of this being the power to the thermostat on a furnace?

Old 11-05-12, 09:19 AM
Group Moderator
What about the thought of this being the power to the thermostat on a furnace?
If it measures 24 volts thermostat. If it measures 17 volts chime. If it measures 7-10 volts probably buzzer or bell. If it measures 12 volts maybe electronic chime.

I do not have a light in the closet.
The transformer is where a light might have originally been.

The best part about this is I have no wired doorbells at the doors.
Possibly installed because the original system failed. Have you looked for a hardwired chime, bell or buzzer. Buzzer would be least obvious because of size and shape.

Buzzer. About 1-1/2" x 2" x 1-1/4" thick.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5136[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 11-11-12, 04:49 AM
Sorry for the late reply. I only check email at work.
I do have a chime box in the kitchen. After posting this I checked the side door. (I thought I saw a hard wired button next to the wireless.) I hit the button & the darn thing worked! I will have to remove the front wireless to see what is under there, but that will have to wait. I have more pressing issues to get to first.
Just for future reference I assume the wiring order goes something like this... 120 volt > transformer > chime box > exterior buttons. Correct?

Old 11-11-12, 05:45 AM
One wire will go directly to the chime. The other wire will go to the buttons in some fashion. It is possible it goes to the area where the chime is, but the buttons are just a switch. So it shoudl be connected to the chime until it goes to a button first.

Old 11-11-12, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator

If there are two buttons one hooks to the back door screw on the chime and one hooks to the front door screw on the chime. There are multiple ways to wire this so I only showed the basic path. In some cases two wires come from each door switch and the two transformer wires go to the chime for a total of six wires. In that case one wire from each pair including the transformer are connected to each other (three wires connected together). The other wire from the transformer goes to the common screw of the chime and one of the remaining two switch wires to the front chime screw and other to the back chime screw.