Ceiling Light Queston (TOTAL NOOB)

Old 11-04-12, 02:55 PM
Ceiling Light Queston (TOTAL NOOB)

The house I live in was built in 2007 - I just purchased a ceiling light and I already have a junction box in the ceiling. The wires coming from the box are black white and red, the box is connected to a light switch I assume. The ceiling light has Black, White and a grounding wire. The instruction told me black to black, white to white, then I capped the others, did not work, found out that the red is the hot wire for a switch? So whould I go red to black, white to white and cap the black from the ceiling? Then I assum the grounding wire connection to a blue screw in my junction box? This is going to be a babys room, and I couldn't get an electrician to come out for 15 minutes of work, but I want to make sure I;m safe and not causing any fires etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-12, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
You should always check the switch wiring to better understand the wiring at the light.

Then I assum the grounding wire connection to a blue screw in my junction box?
There should not be any blue screws. Do you mean green? Is this a metal or plastic box? Do you have cable or conduit?

Old 11-04-12, 04:08 PM
Sorry, actually there was a grounding wire from the ceiling also, so grounding wire to grounding wire, disregard the screw. Ceiling Red to Light Black, Ceiling White to Light white, Ceiling grounded to Light Grounded and ceiling black capped off, Does that make sense? My father in law gave me this configuration, and everything is working, just double checking that it's correct.

Old 11-04-12, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
If the box is metal all ground must be connected together and pigtailed to the box. This a safety issue that shouldn't be ignored but doesn't affect function.