Switches don't function but outlets are working??

Old 01-28-01, 05:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

The light swiches in my kitchen, living room, patio, garage and front hallway do not work.. The switches in the hallway , restrooms, bedrooms do work..all but one wall outlet in my kitchen work..the breaker was checked and reset..what do I do next? confused, bewitched and bewildered..

Old 01-28-01, 09:56 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
"Light switches don't work...". Do you mean there seems to be no power to the lighting in those areas? Because from your description it could mean that all of those switches mechanically locked up and won't move up or down.

It seems to me as though you're trying to say that a circuit in your house, which feeds the things you described, has no power. If you have any GFCI receptacles in your home, go to check each and every one of them, and look hard for any you may not be remembering but are there somewhere, and push the reset button on each to see if it is tripped. Often times other portions of a circuit are wired through a GFCI receptacle. Otherwise, there is a remote possibility that the breaker is old and weak, and has failed open.

Hope that helps.

Juice

Old 01-28-01, 02:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Swithches not working...to Juicehead

Juicehead..thanks for the info..I don't have any GFCIs in my house..but I do have aluminum wiring..it may very well be the breaker since the breaker box is 30 years old..do I have to shut off all electricity to the house to change one breaker?? Is it possible that a bad switch or outlet could be causing the rest to malfunction..four outlets have no power even though the the breaker has been reset..should I call an electrician and change all breakers in the box..

Grandpa Hal

Old 01-29-01, 09:53 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you are real careful and keep very close track of where your fingers are at all times these can be easily changed with the power on. But I would recommend turning off your main breaker to the whole panel if changing a breaker. They swing out from the center of the two breaker rows and have a bracket sort of hook at the pivot point which detaches the breaker by sliding 1/4" away from center. But once you snap the center up it is disconnected from the bus. I pull them out, swap the black wire and then snap the new breaker back in already wired. To get the breaker to snap out I insert a popsicle stick (non-conductive) in the gap between the two rows of breakers and pry on the one I want to remove.

But before you get a new breaker there is a simple test to see if maybe you have a loose connection at one of your receptacles which may be feeding the rest of that circuit which is powerless at present. See my reply to Terry on the post "loose wire". Let us know what happens.

Juice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: