WEN 9000 Generator

Old 11-05-12, 08:37 AM
Unhappy WEN 9000 Generator

I lost my power with the latest storm (hurricane Sandy) on a Monday night. After about 24 hours I decided to buy a generator to save as much food as possible. The lights came on shortly after I purchased a generator. Beggars can't be choosy as I found a WEN generator (9000 watt model). I assembled it, added the required oil and put in new gas. I followed the starting instructions. It started up and then after about 2 seconds, it stopped. I tried this several times but the same issue. I know a lot of generators are self grounding but my instruction booklet didn't say anything about that. What it did say was that I would need to attach a ground wire. Others who have other kinds of generators suggested it could be a choke issue where the choke needs to be played with. I do plan on calling the toll free number when I get home from work today.
Has anyone experienced anything like this? I have never owned a generator before but I do have a lot of small engine equipment and I don't have any issues like this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I am perplexed....

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-12, 08:46 AM
Just a guess, could it be the fuel shutoff, could you have forgotten to turn yours on? -Bob

Old 11-05-12, 08:51 AM
I doubled checked that as well as all of the steps for starting in case I had a dumb moment. All steps followed except, like I said, attaching the ground. I had to transport the generator on its side toget it home from the store. Could the low oil sensor be stuck or something? I am sure it is something really stupid.

Old 11-05-12, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Check and make sure the low oil sensor wire is attached.

Its new so under warranty. Call tech support. They will guide you. that is your best bet IMO before you start fiddling with it.

Old 11-05-12, 09:06 AM
Thanks to all suggestions so far. I will call tech support when I get home today.

Old 11-05-12, 10:31 AM
If it was low oil sensor related, it wouldnt start at all. This sounds like a fuel issue. Maybe a stuck float in the carb or a blockage of some kind.

Forget about the ground. The engine doesnt know or care if the generator end is grounded.

Old 11-05-12, 07:02 PM
I never heard of a Wen generator before. Where is it made? What brand engine is on it? I fear I already know the answers to these questions, but hoping my guess is wrong.

Old 11-05-12, 07:32 PM
I have a Wen generator (3500 watt) and I love it. I have never had any problems with it, but I have heard they have good customer service. Hopefully your problem is easily solved, as they really are good machines. @CasualJoe, yes, they are Chinese units, but they seem to have good quality control. You get a lot of generator for your buck.

Andy

Last edited by Andrew; 11-05-12 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 11-05-12, 07:40 PM
Then OP should just take his generator to the nearest authorized service agency for warranty service.

Old 11-05-12, 07:48 PM
Petpal123, have you checked the spark plug wire? It might have become loose during shipment.
Andy

Old 11-05-12, 08:10 PM
I think the low-oil shutdown is bad. Disconnect the wire from that and see if it runs.

Old 11-06-12, 05:11 AM
I called WEN's tech support for assistance. They had me up and running within a couple of minutes. Like many of you said, the issue was with the low oil sensor as they had me disconnect the wire. I have since written to WEN asking for a replacement part providing them with the stock number from my user manual. Thanks to all for your suggestions/help here. I just hope WEN will step up to the plate like they should and send me the replacement part at no cost.

Old 11-06-12, 09:43 AM
Glad you are up & running! I'm sure Wen will follow through, and all will be well. Let us know the outcome!
Andy