Running 10/3 cable for generator

Old 11-05-12, 08:02 PM
Running 10/3 cable for generator

Ok guys,
bear with me on this as it probably has been asked but I can't find it in the forums. After Sandy went thru I lost utility power for 6 days. I have my gen and panel all set up but due to some financial pboblems at the time I couldn't hook up a remote connection and pulling that 10/3 wire in the wind and rain was a little tiresome.
I intend to do a remote connection but where I want to put the receptacle evolves running the cable through a small ( about 10 feet) unheated crawl space. I was thinking of putting a 3/4" open ended conduit for the length of the space then wire staple the cable to beams across the basement to a spot where I can run it in the ceiling to the transfer switch. This crawl space has mystery floor supports as I can't seem to find them with roofing paper covering the whole ceiling in there. ( the house is over 80 years old.) I know that it is not legal to have unsupported cable over that length.
Is it alright to pull and run that cable for that short length through the conduit?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-12, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Technically, PVC conduit needs to be supported every 4 feet (I think). So technically, it needs to be supported as well.

You can't find the studs by tapping the tar paper?

Old 11-05-12, 08:33 PM
There is nothing in the NEC that specifically prohibits running cable through conduit but except for physical protection of the cable it is considered poor practice. You DO need to fasten the conduit in place approximately every four feet, depending on the size and type of conduit.

Old 11-06-12, 05:54 AM
Z;
believe me I have tried! This small addy was done pre-world war , just not sure which one! I should also have added that I was considering supporting the conduit by attaching it to the cinderblock/natural stone wall for the short length and that is why I was considering the conduit as protection and support.
Furd; "...depending on size and type.." would 3/4' grey plastic conduit still be every four feet? I would assume (hmmmm, that word) so.

Before anyone askes, the rest of the house walls are 3 foot thick of solid natural stone!!

Old 11-07-12, 12:03 PM
Is the only holdup the cost of the inlet? Because this seems like a lot of work, and some expense, just to save that cost.

Old 11-07-12, 12:47 PM
Nashkat1
I hate to say this but I don't understand what you mean. The holdup is not the cost of the inlet, it is just the positioning of it and the fact that for a appox 10 foot run I have no way where to support the cable. Hence the open conduit idea. Lugging 75 feet of 10/3 to the gen is not easy in a hurricane and in the dark. Before you ask there is no way to run a permanent feed for several reasons that were the subjects of inquires going back to when I bought it last year.
Sandy just highlighted some deficincies in the original configuration.

Old 11-08-12, 02:24 AM
Group Moderator
A metal conduit would require less straps to do what you are trying to accomplish. PVC has no strength and would just bend. You want to use the pipe as a carrier. Just like a bridge over water whereas the bridge is only supported at the ends. I would go and pick up a piece of heavy wall pipe and two good 2 hole straps. Put one strap at each end. The pipe you use can be just about anything as it only being uses as a mechanical sleeve.

Old 11-08-12, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
The pipe you use can be just about anything as it only being uses as a mechanical sleeve.
I would suggest rigid metal conduit. The inside of regular pipe is to rough for safe pulling.

Old 11-08-12, 06:02 AM
PJ ; You expressed it better than I did! That is what I want to do "bridge the gap". Thank You
Ray ; Thanks for that tidbit. Almost forgot about metal pipe. 3/4 the right size?

Old 11-08-12, 06:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just to throw out another idea, what about running a 12' 2x4 attached securely on both ends. Then you have a nailing strip to attach the wire or conduit.

I also like the idea of metal conduit.