Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

TEC / Solar Panel - Control Voltage/Amps for specific devices

Old 11-06-12, 10:50 AM

Hello, I have a TEC system, and a solar power system hooked up to a battery which holds the electric generated from both systems. I want to use the power stored in the batterys to either charge or power various devices, but all devices have different specific power requirements. Example, iphone, laptop and a USB mini fan. Is there any type of controller on the market that you can adjust the voltage and amps on a wide scale to accommodate specific power needs for various devices?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-12, 01:22 PM
I have no idea of what TEC system is and I'm too lazy to try and find out. It seems to me that what you want is either a single input DC to DC converter with several different voltage outputs or else a number of DC to DC converters with each having a single voltage output to match up with your various devices.

I don't know what the voltage input to an I-phone or your laptop might be but standard USB voltage is five volts DC. I DO know that there ARE 12 volt to I-phone chargers and 12 volt to laptop chargers readily available. Most of these will have an automobile cigarette lighter plug so you would need either a matching cigarette lighter receptacle (less than five dollars at any auto parts store) or you would need to destroy the plug and hard wire it to the battery.

Or, if you are an electronics experimenter you might like to get a couple of DC to DC converters off of eBay. They are made in China and cost less than ten dollars each, some less than five dollars.

Old 11-06-12, 01:40 PM
TEC, Thermo-Electric Cooler or a Peltier device which is the same thing, just depends on what your using it for although i should have said peltier. Here is a pic, just reverse the diagram to generate electricity http://www.tellurex.com/images/techn...r-figure-9.jpg. You can use the hot side on any hot surface to generate electricity and then store in a battery (side of your stove, thin copper plate in the hot sun, a fire to warm a plate the peltier sits on, etc) I will definitely check out ebay for some dc to dc converters you mentioned with different outputs i for some reason did not think to look for a converter with set outputs, i have been looking for an "adjustable" output converter that you could adjust to the desired output within its operating range. Thanks.