Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How much should a junction box w/ breakers and cables for a 200 amp panel cost?

Old 11-07-12, 11:36 AM

Hi! I am having a 200 amp panel installed and the city inspector said I needed a junction box to be installed in the garage. How much should a junction box with the proper cables and breakers cost?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-12, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
How much should a junction box with the proper cables and breakers cost?
I don't understand. Your post doesn't make sense. A junction box is just a box for connections. There are no breakers. Do you mean subpanel. If so we need a lot more information then you have given. Why does the inspector say you need a subpanel. Is this a detached garage? If so what is the distance to the garage? What loads will be on the subpanel?

Sorry to be blunt but it sounds like you are in over your head. You may want to hire an electrician or at least read the book Wiring Simplified. We can help but you need to know the basics. We can't know what you don't know and that could cause problems.

Old 11-07-12, 12:13 PM
Yes, my contractor messed up....A subpanel...it will be inside the garage and the panel will be outside...sorry...he said the wrong word...There will be 16 lines run into the subpanel he said...does this make sense?

Old 11-07-12, 01:08 PM
Group Moderator
There will be 16 lines run into the subpanel he said...does this make sense?
Not really. We need a lot more info. Is the 200 amp a replacement panel? If so was the original panel in the garage?

Old 11-08-12, 06:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Taking a stab in the dark...

Your main panel will be outside next to the meter. Then you will have a subpanel with 16 circuits in it somewhere inside your house.

This may be required if your current main panel is not directly inside the house next to the meter. Is this the case?

Old 11-08-12, 07:16 AM
Yes. The subpanel will be inside the garage and the main panel will be outside the garage...I think he said it was underground...not sure what he is talking about...I think he purposely likes to say things to me tat are incorrect and confusing so that I can't check up on what he is doing....
Thanks for your help

Old 11-08-12, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
Why isn't the main panel being used for all the circuits? Why do you even need a subpanel. Can you post pictures of the main panel, cover off, at a far enough distance so the whole panel is shown and another further back showing the meter socket and panel.

Old 11-08-12, 08:30 AM
Apparently a subpanel is needed because there was too much exposed wiring in the garage ad the city inspector told my contractor he would not sign off on it unless a subpanel was installed in the garage

Old 11-08-12, 08:53 AM
Group Moderator
Apparently a subpanel is needed because there was too much exposed wiring in the garage ad the city inspector told my contractor he would not sign off on it unless a subpanel was installed in the garage
Makes no sense. If you have exposed wiring you protect it in a code approved manner. Adding a subpanel is not one of the ways. So far nothing posted really makes sense. I'm beginning to think lack of palm grease is the reason but a contractor should know that.

Is there a written report from the inspector? If so post it. If not ask for one.

Old 11-08-12, 10:58 AM
How do I post a picture...he keeps changing things he is saying to me...i am not there so I can't fully know what is going on, but he said that there were 60 or 70 wires and "flex" that he had to cover if that makes any sense, sorry if it doesn't...he said he had to clean up all the wires and that he has to put them into the subpanel?

Old 11-08-12, 11:44 AM
nevermind....he messed up...it was a junction box...ugh

Old 11-08-12, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
Makes no sense. Honestly sounds like flim-flam. Is the contractor trying to charge extra? I'd suggest getting rid of the contractor and hiring a master electrician.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html