Garbage disposal circuit

Old 11-10-12, 04:20 PM
Garbage disposal circuit

My garbage disposal quit. The breaker tripped and would not reset. The disposal plugs into a normal outlet.

Before replacing the disposal, I figured it might be a bad breaker so I replaced it. New breaker would still not reset.

I did use an extension cord and tested the disposal from a working outlet but it would not come on. I also removed the disposal outlet and the switch. The breaker still trips.

I feel that I have a short on the circuit and it fried the disposal. The circuit is a 20 amp tandem. I am almost positive that nothing other than the disposal outlet is on the circuit. How should I track the short?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-12, 04:37 PM
Welcome to the forums!

The breaker tripped and would not reset. The disposal plugs into a normal outlet.

Before replacing the disposal, I figured it might be a bad breaker so I replaced it. New breaker would still not reset.
The tripped position on a circuit breaker is neither "off" nor "on." It is midway between them. New breakers typically ship tripped.

Did you try turning either breaker all the way off before turning it on?

I also removed the disposal outlet and the switch. The breaker still trips.
Did you have every wire separated and capped when you tried to reset the breaker?

I feel that I have a short on the circuit and it fried the disposal.
Doubtful, but we'll see.

I am almost positive that nothing other than the disposal outlet is on the circuit. How should I track the short?
In order to trouble shoot this, you will need to locate any splice points in the circuit, between the breaker and the disposal. You will also need an analog multimeter that can test for continuity. You can start by checking out Troubleshooting a dead receptacle or light, Basic Terminology & Other info on this forum.

Old 11-10-12, 04:58 PM
The breaker tripped and would not reset. The disposal plugs into a normal outlet.

I think I would have tried simply unplugging the disposer and then trying to reset the breaker. When the new breaker would not reset, was the disposer still plugged in and the disposer switch on?

I did use an extension cord and tested the disposal from a working outlet but it would not come on.
Did you try pressing the reset button on the bottom of the disposer? Does the disposer hum? Have you tried turning the disposer from under the sink with the wrench that came with the disposer? It could be jammed and that might trip the breaker on overload. (an allen wrench works too)

Old 11-10-12, 06:20 PM
I discovered my mistake. I got my breakers mixed up. It's kind of a confusing story but The tripped breaker is the top tandem that at one time was connected to some outdoor yard lights. The disposal has one other item on the circuit, an over the sink flood light. I tested the outlet forgetting to turn on the switch (dumb). Yes, I did hit the reset button on the disposal. It is getting electricity but is frozen I feel a little silly that I made this post. Thanks for trying to help.

Old 11-10-12, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
It happens to us all.

Old 11-11-12, 06:32 AM
It is getting electricity but is frozen I feel a little silly that I made this post.
Disposers come with a wrench to turn the disposer if a bone or something solid binds them like yours appears to be. In-Sink-Erator calls theirs a wrenchette, but an allen wrench will work. I'd find the wrench and try turning the disposer from underneath the sink before condemning it for replacement. You may be able to fix this thing in about 2 seconds.

Old 11-11-12, 10:51 AM
I'd find the wrench and try turning the disposer from underneath the sink before condemning it for replacement.
I'd find the wrench and try turning the disposer from underneath the sink with the power to the disposer disconnected before...