Zoffo: 120 Generator Feed To 2 Pole Panel

Old 11-11-12, 04:21 PM
Zoffo: 120 Generator Feed To 2 Pole Panel

My generator is 2000W with 2 (parallel) receptacles. I want to run the generator to my breaker panel using an Interlock kit at the panel. Since the receptacles are wired in parallel there is no need to connect to both of them, but to back feed into both legs of the panel I will need ganged breakers at the panel. Whats the best way to connect the one hot wire to the breakers?

Last edited by zoffo; 11-11-12 at 04:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-12, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Post moved to its own thread for better visibility and less confusion.

Old 11-11-12, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks Ray....I was replying and got completely lost

Here is how I would handle it:

You should run a piece of 12/3 or better yet 10/3 cable from panel to a receptacle with 4 contacts. Allocate two 20 amp breakers (one above the other) in panel that are designated transfer breakers. You should then make up a cord with a piece of 12-3 SO cable to a matching 4 pin plug at one end and a standard 20 amp plug for the generator at the other end. You would connect the black wire of the three wire cable to the contacts in the plug that supply both hot connections. This way you have a receptacle already wired for 240 volt and future expansion of generator capacity. You would then just replace the generator cable.

Old 11-11-12, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
PJ max what about the disconnect for the main breaker?

Old 11-11-12, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
He stated he's using an interlock kit at the panel.

Old 11-11-12, 08:13 PM
Welcome to the forums, Zoffo!

My generator is 2000W with 2 (parallel) receptacles. I want to run the generator to my breaker panel using an Interlock kit at the panel. Since the receptacles are wired in parallel there is no need to connect to both of them, but to back feed into both legs of the panel I will need ganged breakers at the panel. Whats the best way to connect the one hot wire to the breakers?
One 15A circuit can supply up to 1800W if the load is not continuous. One 20A circuit can supply up to 2400W if the load is not continuous.

Have you thought about just buying a 14 ga. 3-wire extension cord and using it to connect the generator to the refrigerator? And maybe a second extension cord to alternately power the microwave or the television or a couple of lamps and some chargers, if there's still capacity for that?

Old 11-12-12, 01:16 PM
Thanks PJmax. So if I understand you correctly, what you're saying is that I should use a jumper (to connect the 2 hots) at the 4 contact plug of the generator (4 contact to 3 contact) cable. I was afraid that I might be missing a safety issue by connecting to the 2 legs of the breaker panel, but since the Main breaker is off when I use this setup, this should be safe correct?

Thanks again.

Old 11-12-12, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
You do understand correctLY and it is safe.

ABOVE ALL - WHEN USING GENERATOR TIED INTO MAIN PANEL - THE MAIN MUST BE OFF - PERIOD