Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

100A 3 pole change over switch total amp rating or each pole?

Old 11-11-12, 10:29 PM

Doing a little home project. Requires the use of 4 240v 18A heating elements. To make the project safe I am adding a change over switch so that when turned off all the elements are dead. I bought a 3 pole 100A cam style switch. Checking with the meter, it has a dedicated in for each out. Are each of these 100A or is the whole switch 100A rating meaning each pole is 33A? Also is it safe to use a change over switch to break a 240v 73A load? Sorry for the dumb question but I am not an electrician. TIA

Here is a link to the switch (directions are in Chinese): Ui 660V Ith 100A on Off Rotary Cam Universal Changeover Switch | eBay

Last edited by spdjnky_42; 11-11-12 at 11:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-12, 12:16 AM
If it is rated by industry standards then each pole should carry 100 amperes. That does NOT mean that it will switch 100 amperes per pole. It may be made to be switched with no load whatsoever. Personally, I'd be a bit leery of that switch in your application as I understand it.

Old 11-12-12, 02:27 AM
Group Moderator
When I do a project and I need some kind of heavy duty switch I try to use a name brand company and only use UL rated switches. You wont find a UL listing on that switch. I wouldn't run more than half of its rated current.(50A per leg) Those are 3 pole switches. To do what you want to do you need 8 poles of switching (4 heaters x 2poles per heater). You must switch both legs of the 240V. If you wanted to stay with that type of switch you would need four of them.

Old 11-12-12, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't use that switch PERIOD.....Personal injury up to and including death is a possibility, not to mention a fire.