Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Replaced GFCI Receptacle with regular receptacle in garage now doesn't work.

Old 11-13-12, 06:36 AM

I relocated a GFCI receptacle in my garage (just moved it down and to the right about 3 feet), but replaced it with a regular one. The regular receptacle worked just fine and a few days later I built a new wall in the garage and wanted to put another receptacle and a switch downstream from the original. My son had come in and turned the breaker back on and I stupidly didn't check it before starting to wire the new receptacle and got myself a quick jolt and now nothing works on the circuit.

The breaker isn't tripped and after removing all the new wiring and going back to where I started with the one regular receptacle, still nothing works. No power is getting to the receptacle at all. Not sure what to do next.

I might add that the circuit also works the outside receptacles, but none of them are on GFI and they all worked just fine as well before I got shocked so to speak.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-12, 06:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Older editions of the NEC allowed circuits that needed GFI protection to be shared. Often times the GFI was in a bathroom and protected the outside and garage receptacles. Check all your GFIs around the house.

Old 11-13-12, 06:47 AM
All GFIs are good. Just checked them all.