Buzzing Electric Panel when Water heaters engage

Old 11-14-12, 07:37 AM
Unhappy Buzzing Electric Panel when Water heaters engage

Our electrical panel in the garage is making an unbearable noise every time the 2 electric heater boilers turn on.

I removed the panels to take a look at what was going on to see where the noise is coming from.

I took a picture of the 2 units making the noise and filmed it when I isolate it and then turn it on again. You can clearly see / hear the noise.....PS it is 10 times worse than the video indicates.

Picture
Movie

Any thoughts? DO I need to get these components replaced ?

Many thanks for any guidance.

Best
Bee

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-12, 08:44 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums. This is primarily a North American board. I am not sure how much help we can give. From reading your post I'm not sure if you mean an electric water heater or a boiler for home heating. Initially I thought it was a domestic water heater and was going to say reset the breaker after checking the bus bar for pitting but then I looked at your picture and I'm not sure if that is a breaker box or some kind of control panel on a home heating boiler.

Old 11-14-12, 08:55 AM
I tried looking at your photo and video, but got a "page can not be found". Did these items get moved?

Based on Ray's comment, it sounds like something I was dealing with recently with one of my relay boxes.

Old 11-14-12, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, Mike on further thought I think it is a relay also. Not sure why the picture doesn't show for you.

Old 11-14-12, 10:51 AM
It could just be my internet access being troublesome.
Based on the notes in the OP, I suspect that we are looking at a photo inside the controls for the heaters. Without knowing or seeing more, I would have to put my money on a relay or (more likely)transformer is going bad.

Old 11-14-12, 11:05 AM
3-phase contactors with overloads? I think the Industrial forum is down the hall...

It doesn't look like contact arcing (watch it in the dark) so maybe you have a loose relay coil. You might need to remove the relay & check the screws or rivets on the bottom. Or just replace it.

Old 11-14-12, 07:39 PM
Chattering contactors can sometimes be cured with minor lubrication or coil replacement and sometimes you need to replace the contactors.

Old 11-15-12, 06:14 AM
If it's a common component (relay or low voltage transformer), replacing is the quickest and easiest solution. Lubrication can be a short term solution, but I would consider replacing sooner then later.