Circut breaker pops

Old 11-15-12, 08:47 PM
Circut breaker pops

My electrical knowledge is very limited. Yesterday my Pushmatic 15 amp breaker tripped for my bathroom and a bedroom. I have 2 lights in the bathroom. 1 for the light in the ceiling and 1 for the medicine cabinet. The ceiling light works as it should. After resetting the breaker when I would turn on the light switch for the medicine cabinet immeadiately the breaker would pop again. I replaced the 2 balast for the 2 floursecnt lights in the medicine cabinet and replaced the light switch itself, and after resetting the breaker it popped off again as soon as I flicked the light switch.

I then unhooked the wires going to the medicine light cabinet so that no power was getting to it, reset the breaker and once again it popped when I flicked on the light switch. So I can eliminate the medicine cabinet lights as the reason the breaker is popping.

Next to the medicine cabinet there is a GFI outlet in the wall. I plugged a light into the outlet and it didn't turn on. I pushed in on the reset, and the test button on the GFI, & the light still didn't come on. The GFI outlet was put in about 5 years ago and has worked in the past. Could it have gone bad causing the breaker to trip?

Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-12, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
You have eliminated the medicine cabinet light fixture but not the wiring because it only trips the breaker when you turn the switch on. What colors are the wires at the light fixture ? What color wires were on the light switch ?

I would doubt the GFI is an issue. Did the GFI used to come on when you turned the light switch on or is it always live ?

Old 11-15-12, 09:29 PM
I believe the GFI was always live, but to be honest i can't remember. The wires to the switch are both black. I've put everything away for now till morning. I plan on getting a regular outlet, (a cheapie) and installing it in place of the GFI & see if that solves the problem. If that is the problem I will probably buy another GFI and install it. Does that sound like a next logical step?

Old 11-16-12, 12:22 AM
Group Moderator
If the GFI was always live then it would not be part of the problem. Instead of replacing it with something.....remove it or disconnect the wiring.

Old 11-16-12, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
Since you replaced the switch, and it trips when you flip the switch, I would start there. Pull the switch out of the box and let it hang. Make sure there is no wires or metal touching the side screws. Then try again.

Old 11-16-12, 09:07 PM
after pulling out the GFI outlet I discovered a loose ground wire causing the circut breaker to trip......... thanks to those who replied with their suggestions.

Old 11-16-12, 09:14 PM
Glad you got it, and thank you for the feedback.