Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Question on bonded netural and not connecting the ground wire at the inlet conne

Question on bonded netural and not connecting the ground wire at the inlet conne

Old 11-16-12, 03:15 PM

I'm new here... and have been following the conversation about portable generator netural bond. If I do not connect the ground wire and attach it to the metal box, is the generator still grounded because of the netural/ bond at the generator is still connected and the netural wire is connected at the house service panel box grounding bar?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-12, 03:30 PM
Welcome to the forums!

In addition to reading the conversations here, you should buy and read Wiring Simplified, the least expensive and most comprehensive reference on residential electrical systems. You may find it in the electrical aisle at your local big box store.

If I do not connect the ground wire and attach it to the metal box, is the generator still grounded because of the netural/ bond at the generator is still connected and the netural wire is connected at the house service panel box grounding bar?
What ground wire and what metal box? Are you asking about connecting the ground wire in the cable for your inlet to the metal box the inlet is mounted in instead of the inlet?

A generator, and any other equipment or structure, is only grounded when it is bonded to earth ground by means of a grounding electrode conductor - basically, a ground rod and the wire connecting that to the equipment or structure.

Old 11-16-12, 03:42 PM
Sorry for the confusion. Buton the thread i was reading. They were talking about the netural/bond on the generators frame. Inorder not to have a 2path flow. It was suggested that you would need to disconnect the wire from the netural such as the generators recepticle that is connected to the frame. Also what was looked at was out of the 10/4 interconnecting cable from the generator back to a twislock connection that another way is not to connect the ground wire in the cable. This would stop the 2way path if a fault occurs. but for safety connect the ground wire to the metal connnector that the interconnecting cable recepticle would be mounted. My question is even though the generator does not have the ground connected through this ground wire that because there is a netural/bond at the generator would'nt that mean that through the netural wire which would be connected back to the service panel still act as a ground for the generator?

Old 11-16-12, 03:58 PM

The proper and safe way to deal with bonded neutral (at both ends)

is to use a transfer switch that switches the neutral in addition to the line feed.

Be aware that most all store bought transfer switches do not have this feature.