Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

57.5amp range: What's the proper breaker and receptacle needed?

Old 11-19-12, 02:08 AM

Hi there,

We are having a new electric range delivered later today. It will be going in a different location in the kitchen than our old wall oven and cooktop, so we'll be pulling new cable, adding in a receptacle, and switching out the breaker.

The range specs are:
power source: 240v/60Hz
power consumption: 13,750watts/57.5amp
could be hooked up with a 3-prong or 4-prong (our home was built in 1901 and doesn't have to follow new construction guidelines is my understanding, as far as new homes getting 4-prong standard)

We plan on using copper 6-3 NM/WG cable. We purchased a 60amp circuit breaker but could not find a 60amp receptacle locally, while a multitude of 50amp receptacles were available. I could order a 60amp receptacle online, but the range is coming later today and we need it up and running ASAP as I'm cooking with it for Thanksgiving. The other factor is that a 60amp receptacle is >$80 while a 50amp is <$10.

With this range drawing 57.5amps at capacity, is it okay to run the range on a 50amp receptacle with the 6-3 cable and use either the 60amp breaker we already purchased, or return the 60 and get a 50amp breaker instead? The worst that would happen with using 50amps all around is that we'd trip the breaker if the range was being used at capacity, right? And does it matter if we choose to use the 60amp breaker we already purchased with 6-3 cable and a 50amp receptacle?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-12, 02:32 AM
Group Moderator
could be hooked up with a 3-prong or 4-prong (our home was built in 1901 and doesn't have to follow new construction guidelines is my understanding,
No, old wiring is grandfathered but new wiring such as this must meet current code so you will need a four wire circuit.

We plan on using copper 6-3 NM/WG cable. We purchased a 60amp circuit breaker but could not find a 60amp receptacle locally
Good choice of wire. Same receptacle for both ratings. A NEMA 14-50R. I'm a bit concerned by the amps of your stove though. It is close to the limit for a non continuous load on a 60 amp circuit.What size breaker does the stove manufacturer recommend?

Old 11-19-12, 02:47 AM
I'm having a difficult time finding that info from Samsung. There's only a user manual and not an installation guide. I did find limited info about the power-supply-cord kit rating in a table:

Range Rating, watts - 120/240 volts 3-wire = 8,750-16,500; 120/208 volts 3-wire = 7,801-12,500
Specified rating of power-supply-cord kit, amperes - 40 or 50a
Diameter (inches) of range connection opening - Power cord = 1-3/8"; Conduit = 1-1/8"

BestBuy sells the range with either a 40a 3-prong or 50a 4-prong power cord. I'm assuming they'll give us the 50a 4-prong since we'll be doing new wiring.

I've searched through many online forums and Samsung support but couldn't find better info about this particular range. Some customers asked for all the needed installation info from Samsung but we're given very generic answers containing only the spec info I listed in my first post. You would think for their warranty they would want to make sure it was installed properly! The range has a dual convection oven, glass smoothtop w/ 5 burners, warming drawer, and an LCD display- lots of items to draw power. I definitely won't be using all those functions at once! I'm going from a 24" wall oven and tiny cooktop to what's probably going to be overkill =) We have those avocado green appliances from the 60s and the oven keeps shorting out. It was time to replace, so we picked the best model we could afford that had excellent reviews and some of the features (and then some) that we wanted.

Thank you for your help!

Old 11-19-12, 06:25 AM
Group Moderator
50a 4-prong power cord. I'm assuming they'll give us the 50a 4-prong since we'll be doing new wiring.
That is what worries me. The amps exceeds the common rating for a stove. That is why I asked what Samsung suggests as a breaker size. Even a 60 amp breaker will trip if all burners and oven are on long enough. I'd really consider hard wiring it rather then use a plug because the plug is a week point. I'm not a pro though so wait for the pros to weigh in.

Old 11-19-12, 06:00 PM
Range Rating, watts - 120/240 volts 3-wire = 8,750-16,500; 120/208 volts 3-wire = 7,801-12,500
Specified rating of power-supply-cord kit, amperes - 40 or 50a
I've never seen a 40 amp range cord. In absence of better specifications and especially for the circuit breaker, I'd use a 50 amp breaker with the 4-wire 50 amp receptacle and 4-wire 50 amp cord. You'll never approach the full wattage of this range.

We plan on using copper 6-3 NM/WG cable
As ray pointed out, you need to install a 4-wire circuit and receptacle as this is a new circuit and must be done to current code. The cable already has 4 wires so definitely install the 4-wire receptacle and 4-wire range cord too.

Old 11-19-12, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
power consumption: 13,750watts/57.5amp
yikes.

Is this the induction range ? That baby has warmers and elements everywhere.

Specs - Electric Ranges FE710DRS/XAA | Samsung Ranges

Old 11-20-12, 02:59 AM
PJ - That's the right model. It's radiant though, not induction. Yep it has a lot of bells and whistles.

Thanks Ray and Joe! - We've gone with a 50a breaker, 6-3 NW/WG cable, 50a 4-wire surface mount receptacle (1450r), 4-wire 50a plug. We're in the middle of the install now. We held onto the 60a breaker in case the 50a one starts tripping a bunch when the range is in use. But like Joe said, I don't see us running this at capacity.

The installation guide that came with the range offered no further specs than those formerly mentioned. The guide gives direction to look at the nameplate, but the nameplate again offers the same specs with no new info. In fact the guide says that a 3-wire or 4-wire can be used but that the 4-wire isn't recommended (despite that being the requirement for new wiring- very confusing).

The delivery guys originally dropped the range off today with a 3-wire 40a plug, which I went and exchanged for the 4-wire. Fun times all around, but lots of new things learned.

Again, thank you! My family thanks you too; now they'll have a Thanksgiving dinner to eat =)

Old 11-20-12, 05:00 PM
now they'll have a Thanksgiving dinner to eat =)
What time should we be there?

Old 11-20-12, 11:54 PM
5 o'clock if you're in Seattle =)

We finished the install today and are loving our new range!

Thanks again.

Old 11-21-12, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for letting us know how your project went.