protection of light bulbs

Old 11-21-12, 08:42 AM
protection of light bulbs

OK, getting close to having the garage space ready for the electrical final. My plan is to use porcelain lamp bases with CFL on the ceiling for lighting as teh typical 4ft fixtures either eat bulbs or ballast and i am tired of playing with them. The ceiling is just shy of nine high so the bulbs would be more than 8ft from the floor.

Do i need to have the bulb protected with a globe or other method or can i just leave it in the lamp base and call it good?

Thank you,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-12, 08:43 AM
Group Moderator
Mine are not protected on a 9' ceiling and I have not broken one in the ten years I've been in the house.

Old 11-21-12, 12:21 PM
getting close to having the garage space ready for the electrical final. My plan is to use porcelain lamp bases with CFL on the ceiling for lighting as teh typical 4ft fixtures either eat bulbs or ballast and i am tired of playing with them.
That will happen in an unheated space like a garage when the fixtures - specifically the ballasts - are not rated for cold use in a cold environment.

Old 11-21-12, 05:50 PM
teh typical 4ft fixtures either eat bulbs or ballast
Newer fluorescent fixtures have an electronic ballast that is typically rated for a 0 degree start.

Old 11-21-12, 06:55 PM
Since this is a shop that will only be heated when needed and i live at 8,700 feet elevation, it will be cold in there on a regular basis. I have used cold start ballasts and have had nothing but grief with them.

Anyway, i tracked down the local inspector. If the bulbs are more than eight feet above the floor, they do not require any type of protection around the bulb. If they are less than eight feet off the floor, a bare bulb fixture is not permitted.

Thanks to all for the help.

Mike