Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Post sandy (Electrical Problem) evil. >Title edited & Spelling Error Corrected<

Old 11-21-12, 08:41 PM

Hi Folks;
I was lucky to get through Sandy with minimal damage and power thanks to having the gen previously set up and adequate fuel stored. My neighbors were like the "ant and the grasshopper" fable but that is another thing.
Here is my question, during the times that I used the gennie I noticed that two receptacles (sp) that I thought would be wired were not operating.
I have four receptacles in my kitchen wired to two different 15 amp breakers in the main panel. When I gave the licensed electrician the list of that which I wanted powered through the transfer panel I think he missed a breaker.
Would it be right if I now wirenut spliced the wire from the missed main breaker to the corresponding transfer breaker that the other outlet is on and then back to its main breaker? ( Hope I am explaining this right) They are both 15 amp but it is a pain running extension cords around off of the powered breakers.
I think it sounds right just want to know.

PS The guy was honoring a 5 year old verbal back yard party deal to install and I do not want to malign his worker for a honest mistake.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-12, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing these aren't countertop outlets which are usually on 20 amp circuits.

You should be able to move that circuit to the transfer panel as long as you have an extra breaker available in it.

Old 11-21-12, 08:58 PM
Pj

Thanks for your reply. That is right I mis-typed. The circuits are 20 amp. and all the breakers are full on the transfer box. So I guess I can't piggy-tail the four recepts together off of one breaker on the transfer box. If so the guy was right and didn't miss it on my list. Guess the wifey will have to put up with the cords.

Old 11-22-12, 04:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bob, are there some circuits that you listed that you really could do without and then be able to include the kitchen receptacles?? You know, like bathroom. You can go to the bathroom in the dark. Just what I did when I bought my house. They had several unnecessary circuits, IMO, energized when more important ones could have been.

Old 11-22-12, 06:48 AM
Chandler

Happy Thanksgiving!

I had did a review of the listing and I really had just some of the more important circuits listed. Believe me I can use the "head" in the dark, but a wife w/o a hairdryer/lights in there is pure torture!!

Old 11-22-12, 06:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Roger the "torture" thing. Most of our outages are caused when it snows, or rarely hurricanes. You ain't going nowhere anyway, so candles suffice for us.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, too!!