Grounding a portable generator

Old 11-21-12, 07:22 PM
Grounding a portable generator

Originally Posted by Furd
An on-line pure sine wave UPS would be rather expensive. I would suggest an automatic voltage regulator such as this one or whatever the load requires.

LC2400 Automatic Voltage Regulator/Line Conditioner - 120Vac 2400W
I want to power a gas furnace and a few other small appliances with an extention cord. What remain unclear to me is if grounding is needed. What Furd suggested make sense but the whole system would not be grounded, right?

Last edited by Nashkat1; 11-21-12 at 10:31 PM. Reason: To separate from a previous thread
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-12, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
A line conditioner makes a perfect addition. A UPS does not. Since most generators don't hold the frequency steady enough the UPS will keep hunting from online to offline.

Old 11-22-12, 12:40 AM
I did not make that suggestion nor did I supply that link.

Old 11-22-12, 07:44 AM
This was a question posted to another thread moved by the mods to a new one. I am not sure why it quotes your name.

Anyway, my question is not about that quote but about the whole discussion there. Without a link to the discussion, my question makes no sense.

Here is the thread:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...generator.html

Here is a question of the OP, after some discussion (boldface and underline - mine)

First off, thanks to everyone for the replies. I just made the “bonding adapter” and plugged it into one of the outlets on the generator. Then I tested the furnace out and it worked perfectly! Now just 2 more questions. Do I still need to use a grounding rod for safety? And second, someone told me that using a generator and furnace can be risky because the way a generator can have fluctuations/surges in power can damage the circuit boards within the furnace. Anyone heard of this? (brand new furnace so I don’t want to take any chances)

So my question is about the need to ground it.

Thank you.

Old 11-22-12, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
No.....you DO NOT need a grounding rod.