Covering up [un-used] part of circuit breaker panel

Old 11-23-12, 04:18 PM
Question Covering up [un-used] part of circuit breaker panel

Hello, DYI gang! New homeowner, and subsequently, new member. This case is in DC, but this website won't let you set DC as the "state" when setting up a profile...

I'm not sure if this is one of those "grey areas", or if someone can tell me right out that it's a code violation... I have an oddly-placed circuit box that's right above my stove. To get any kind of modern freestanding stove, I'd need to cover the bottom of the circuit box. My plan is to cover the un-used piece of the circuit breaker panel with the top of the stove, because it does NOT cover any part of the actual switches. Therefore, it'd be safe in an emergency, should I need to shut off any power. The red line on the picture shows where it'd be.

Name:  circuit box.jpg
Views: 2437
Size:  24.3 KB

I would also cut off the bottom of the swinging door to accommodate this (see red line in the picture below). Given that the outer door doesn't protect any of the wires (the inside panel does, as shown in the picture above), this seems like it would be fine.

Name:  circuit box 2.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  18.5 KB

I realize this seems silly, but as a new homeowner, I don't want to put myself out-of-code. Having the circuit box over the stove is already out of "modern" code, but unless I renovate, it's fine with DC, as it was up to code at the time the building was built (60s). Thanks in advance for your advice!

-Adam

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-12, 05:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is this a slide in or drop in range top?

If this is a slide in unit I would leave it as is. It is not that hard to pull them out to clean or should access be needed.

Old 11-23-12, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This case is in DC, but this website won't let you set DC as the "state" when setting up a profile.

It's because you are a remote island somewhere between Virginia and Maryland, not a state !!! Just kidding.. Welcome to the forums!!

I hate to bear the bad news, but in a word, NO. You can't modify the box cover to accommodate the stove top. You wouldn't be so lucky for all the wiring to go up out of the box, either, since the stove is directly below it. How many circuits go up and how many go down? You may be able to move the box with minimal wiring, and a little sheetrock work. Not saying yes for sure, but with more information there may be light out there. Let us know on the circuits. You may even want to remove the cover, very carefully, and let us see a pix on the inside of the panel. It may help.

Old 11-23-12, 06:02 PM
Inside the box

Thanks for your very helpful response, Chandler! Here's a picture of the opened circuit box. Any insight it could bring would, again, be very appreciated.

pcboss, the range we had in mind is a standalone, but considering the implications of this box, getting a slide-in may be the way to go, as it won't cause a hight problem. Was hoping to not spend $800+ on a range (slide-in's are absurdly expensive compared to standalones), but it may be worth it to not mess with this thing.

...and yes, DC is a strange little island. It's true

Name:  circuit box 3.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  41.7 KB

Attached Images  
Old 11-24-12, 05:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I am assuming you will have a gas stove, right? You don't have the space in this box for an electric range. Is this your main service panel?

Old 11-24-12, 05:05 AM
Yes - gas, and yes - main panel.

Old 11-24-12, 05:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Like you seem to suspect, this would not come even close to meeting any recent codes for accesibility and workspace requirements.