Conduit for Power Inlet Box?

Old 11-25-12, 11:14 AM
Conduit for Power Inlet Box?

Hi,

I have a generator (30 amp) that I've run power cords from, time to get a transfer switch (on order). I have a power inlet box that I want to mount on the face of my brick home - goes through concrete blocks into my basement. I'll have an electrician wire my transfer switch to the main panel but to save some time, I'd like to mount and wire the inlet box so it is ready for the electrician (10 gauge). My question is - does the wire need to pass through a conduit or can the 10 gauge pass through the house without conduit? If I need conduit I'll probably need something like 3/4"...

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-12, 12:01 PM
Group Moderator
You can either use a cable (NM-B, UF, AC, MC, Etc) or conduit and wire. You can not run individual wires without conduit. 1/2" conduit is fine with 3-4 #10 wires in most conduit wiring methods (LNMC is the exception) but you can run a larger pipe if you wish. If you use EMT, a ground is not required as long as the run is continuous. With non-metallic conduits, and flexible metal conduit, a ground is required.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 11-25-12 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-25-12, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the reply - makes sense!

Old 11-26-12, 01:02 PM
Follow-up - so if I have conduit running through the wall of the house, is conduit required for the #10 from the interior wall to the transfer switch?

Old 11-26-12, 06:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Conduit systems need to be continuous between boxes.