Installing electric cooktop using existing wiring

Old 11-25-12, 11:05 AM
Installing electric cooktop using existing wiring

We are remodeling our kitchen. We are adding a wall oven and using the previous range plug for that. On the other side of the room is where the cooktop will go. I recently removed the baseboard heating unit for the kitchen and the wiring is right near where the cooktop will go. The 30" cooktop electrical requirements I have read require a 4 or 3 wire single phase 240V on a 40A circuit fused on both sides of the line.

The current wiring for the baseboard heater that I removed is two separate romex 14-2 lines coming in, pigtailed together, then feeding the heater controller. In the breaker panel is a double 20A breaker.

Can I make this work without having to run a new line? Access is an issue.

Thank you!~

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-12, 11:10 AM
I dont recommend it all. If it truly is 14/2 then it is only rated for 15 amps and even if both did go straight to the panel.....which they most likely dont..... and you were able to parallel the feeds then they still would only be rated for 30 amps. You need to run a new 3c 3 8 wire from the cooktop to the panel. As always have a qualified electrician do the final connections and make sure that things are done safely and up to local code requirements.

Old 11-25-12, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
We are adding a wall oven and using the previous range plug for that.
The breaker may need to be down sized for that depending on oven makers recommended protection.

The current wiring for the baseboard heater that I removed is two separate romex 14-2 lines coming in, pigtailed together,
That was never code compliant even for the heater. Conductors that small can't be paralleled. Rollie73 is correct except you don't need an electrician unless you are uncomfortable working in the panel.

Last edited by ray2047; 11-25-12 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-25-12, 01:57 PM
Thank you for the advice. I will run new wire for this cooktop then. The wiring was original to the 1969 house, I believe.

Old 11-25-12, 02:05 PM
You'll have to forgive me if I make a few different mistakes on here. I realize that this site is primarily visited by you guys from the US. North of the border for us Canandian citizens though.....the final work must be done by an electrician. At least here in Nova Scotia

Old 11-25-12, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
No problem Rollie .We get plenty of maple leafs on the board to so north of the boarder help is appreciated. Down here it varies city to city. Where I am you need to be a Master just to pull a permit to touch the meter and panel. You go 100 yards and you are in county and usually no one cares or a tiny municipality with even tougher codes. Most places though you can get a Homeowners permit. I should have added "AHJ permitting" to my remarks above. Thanks for pointing that out.