Hanging Plasma TV over a fireplace..wiring questions.

Old 11-27-12, 12:36 PM
Hanging Plasma TV over a fireplace..wiring questions.

Hi Everyone,

I consider myself pretty handy and now my next project up is hanging my 51" Plasma over the fireplace.

I just watched these videos on Youtube, and wanted to ask your opinions on it (is it safe?, wiring is correct? etc...), here are the videos (there are 10 parts, each part is rather short):

Install TV above fireplace pt 1- project intro - YouTube
Install TV above fireplace pt 2- install mount - YouTube
Install TV above fireplace pt 3- cabling and power - YouTube
Install TV above fireplace pt 4- install boxes - YouTube
Install TV above fireplace pt 5- find obstacles - YouTube
Install TV above fireplace pt 6- planning - YouTube
Install TV above fireplace pt 7- install cables - YouTube
Install TV above fireplace pt 8- install boxes and plates - YouTube
Install TV above fireplace pt 9- drywall repair - YouTube
Install TV above fireplace pt 10- install TV on bracket - YouTube

My setup is exactly as this one in the videos.

Does this look correct?

My questions are what is better a powerbridge or powerlink adapter, or are these the same thing?

I tested the wall for about 2 hours with the GAS fireplace on and the wall wasn't hot at all just slightly warm..will the romex and HDMI cables pose any fire hazard? I am nervous to run wires on a wall near a fireplace, so what length and width away from the mantle should I run my wires?

Should I notch the 2x4's or make holes? I was thinking of only notching only to a depth of 1/2".

I'm not too worried about the heat burning the wires, but if it does get warm back there, will hdmi cables and romex degrade? What kind of heat are they cable of handling?

Should I seperate the Romex and the HDMI wires when I run them thru the wall or can I keep them together? Will I get any interference?

How long can I make the romex before the power degrades? I'm probably going to use around 10 feet.

Any other comments please share, especially if you have done this job and have any good pointers.

Thanks all in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-12, 01:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I ain't gonna watch 10 You Tubes, sorry. If you have a gas fireplace, you surely have a metal flue, which is triple or at least double wall. You won't have any appreciable heat in the chase away from the flue pipe. You can route HDMI, Line voltage, etc. in the chase without problems. I like to keep mine attached to studs to keep them from falling down and possibly touching a hot part of the firebox. Don't worry yourself about "degrading" electricity through Romex for such a short run. You start worrying at 100' or so.
Don't overthink this, or you'll miss the Super Bowl
Keep your wiring away from heat, fastened in place and you will be fine. As far as bringing HDMI and line voltage to the location, I use a double box with a baffle between the two, one side for line voltage and the other for low voltage or HDMI.

Old 11-27-12, 03:13 PM
hey chandler...thanks so much...you answered what i was looking for. My main worry was the heat, but as you said the double wall flue keeps the heat away.