No power from outdoor GFCI and it doesn't reset

Old 11-27-12, 09:28 PM
No power from outdoor GFCI and it doesn't reset

I have purchased a house within the last 6 months and am trying to get Christmas lights to work from our deck but the lights don't work when plugged into that outlet(they work on the kitchen outlet inside). It doesn't seem like the test button depresses. The reset button depresses but the test button doesn't pop out when the reset button is pressed. I tried to take off the GFCI outlet after I turned off the breaker to the deck in the basement breaker box but when taking the GFCI outlet off, the line wire touched what I think is the ground wire and sparked. This tripped the circuit breaker for the kitchen. I carefully put the line wire back into the GFCI and mounted it back into the socket. Any idea what I can do to get this outlet to work without killing myself or hiring an electrician?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-12, 09:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
First, never try to remove or install anything with the power on.

Second,, you may have tripped a GFI in the kitchen.

I don't know why it seems to be wired off a kitchen circuit. This has be prohibited for a very long time.

Old 11-27-12, 10:10 PM
Group Moderator
If the wire touched the grounded box, sparked and then blew a breaker means you had power at that location. You need to push the RESET button in until it clicks. Sometimes it requires the use of like the eraser part of a pencil. If it wont click or stay in you'll need to change the GFI recp.

Old 11-28-12, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In addition, a GFCI chasing another GFCI will only result in headaches. Only one protection is needed, so if there is a GFCI in the kitchen that controls this receptacle on the LOAD side, then eliminate the one on the outside and replace it with a regular receptacle. As stated, however, this receptacle should not be on your small appliance circuit.