Make an outlet hot (removing switch) and reusing switch

Old 11-28-12, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Make an outlet hot (removing switch) and reusing switch

Hi. I currently have a switch that powers an outlet in a room. This room doesn't have any type of ceiling fixture yet. I want to make the outlet hot/live all the time and use the switch to put a ceiling fan in this room. Can someone give me some ideas on what I need to do here? I should just be able to bypass the switch by connecting the wires going into the light switch. After that, am I using the out of the outlet to the switch (in) and then the switch (out) to the junction box in the ceiling? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-12, 08:48 AM
Is there an unused junction box in the ceiling or do you have to install one?

Old 11-28-12, 08:59 AM
I'll be putting one in. There's nothing there yet.

Old 11-28-12, 09:17 AM
It looks like you have the plan already. Assuming the power does not hit the switch box before the outlet (only one cable visible in switch box). Remove the switch, at outlet connect both black to brass screws, whites to silver screws. Look at the outlet to make sure the tab between upper and lower plug ins has not been removed. If so, replace it. Run 3 conductor + ground cable from switch box to ceiling into a fan approved junction box. The third conductor will allow you to control fan and light separately. Use 14 or 12 gauge wire according to breaker size controlling the outlet, 14-15A, 12-20A.

Old 11-28-12, 10:23 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
With all due respect, you first need to buy a book on basic electrical wiring and circuits from any big box store. After you have read it, you will have a better idea of how to change your current wiring and the proper terminology for the parts involved.

Old 11-28-12, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
This is pretty straight forward work, a look through the book Wiring Simplified should tell you what you need to know to pull this off successfully.