Extension Cord Power Loss

Old 11-28-12, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extension Cord Power Loss

I need to make an extension cord for my new table saw. The saw is 220v and uses a NEMA 5-20 plug. The manufacturer does not recommend using one because of possible power loss and motor damage. Because of the layout of my shop, I have no choice but to use one. The manufacturer recommends a 12 AWG extension cord if one must be used. The cord I plan on making will be 15 to 20 feet long, maybe shorter if I can get away with it.

THE QUESTION: With an extension cord of that length, would the power loss decrease enough to matter if I used 10 AWG instead of 12 AWG?

Thanks for indulging me,
Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-12, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Let me understand...You want to use 10 instead of 12? Hey..go for it! Not that that length will make much difference...but this is one case where bigger is better.

I'm no sparky and don't have all the charts and stuff....but with that distance I think it's a non-issue.

Question.....what kind of cord will you use? Don't try and use what's commonly called Romex.

I also wonder if it might be better to just make a new cord for the saw?

Old 11-28-12, 01:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 54 Posts
There's no way to install a new receptacle closer to the saw?

Old 11-28-12, 01:31 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Can you post a picture that illustrates why you can't install a receptacle closer to the saw?

Old 11-28-12, 01:42 PM
Problem solved.

GunGuy had right idea when I came back and read his post. I got so honed in on the extension cord, it didn't occur to me until I was just going thru the saw manual that I could just replace the power cord on the saw with a longer one. The current one is 14 AWG. I called Grizzly tech support to ask if I could increase the size to 12 AWG. Not a problem.

Thanks

Old 11-28-12, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Oh...and just to be clear...it's not UL approved to do that....but in the real world..it's done quite often. Done correctly with the correct cable and connectors...it's perfectly safe.

Old 11-28-12, 02:15 PM
I'll juat add the saw to the list of things in my house that are not UL approved (and are probably better).