Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

SER cable into an exterior wall-mounted spa disconnect panel?

SER cable into an exterior wall-mounted spa disconnect panel?

Old 11-28-12, 07:33 PM
SER cable into an exterior surface-mounted spa disconnect panel?

I'd like to install a packaged, surface-mount spa GFCI disconnect panel on the exterior of my recently-built stucco home.

The 40A circuit the builder installed for me is SER 6-6-6-6 down the interior of the wall to a 4" non-metallic box low in the wall, open to the exterior, currently capped with wire-nuts and covered with a weatherproof plate.

My thought was to pull the SER up to a new opening about 5' high, and bring it through the stucco and the rear knock-out of the surface-mounted disconnect panel. My question is, is there an NEC 2008-compliant way to secure and protect the SER, and maintain the weather-resistance of the box?

If not, any suggestions as to an alternative? The panel I'm looking at has conduit hub knock-outs on the top and bottom as well as the knock-out in the rear.

Thanks,
John

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-12, 07:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should be fine to use the knockout on the back of the disconnect. Add a SER clamp to the cable and secure with a locknut.

Add an upside down U of caulk above the cable.

Old 11-28-12, 09:46 PM
Great, thanks for the help!

John