ground location

Old 11-30-12, 03:01 PM
ground location

I ran the Al -only needed 9ft-to the copper pipe entrance but wanted to know if its ok to connect it to the tee off of it in pic... Clamp is Al approved.It IS over 18 in from ground and IS under 5ft from entrance, main entrance of main pipe is 4 in from ground.[ATTACH=CONFIG]6207[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-12, 06:00 PM
ground location

As far as location and NEC, is it ok to ground to the copper line -in pic-AFTER the "t" on incoming water line? (it is less than 5 ft from main entrance and over 18" high ).the incoming area is too close to earth to hook up right there(4inches above earth)[ATTACH=CONFIG]6232[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 11-30-12, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Is this after the water meter ?

Old 11-30-12, 08:42 PM
wanted to know if its ok to connect it to the tee off of it in pic... Clamp is Al approved. It IS over 18 in from ground and IS under 5ft from entrance, main entrance of main pipe is 4 in from ground.
The ground should be connected to the incoming pipe before the first tee or other fitting.

Old 11-30-12, 09:26 PM
It (Al)then would be 4" from earth (not allowed )...

Old 12-01-12, 09:01 AM
i have a washer hose on that pipe it is on,4 ft from where clamp is in pic ,and the main line coming in has a pressure reg on it (after the t in pic) w shark fittings(unsure if ground is affected by them) ..so which way will it likely travel 1st if it is energized,washer, main line toward regulator or earth?

Old 12-01-12, 01:03 PM
i have a washer hose on that pipe it is on,4 ft from where clamp is in pic ,and the main line coming in has a pressure reg on it (after the t in pic) w shark fittings(unsure if ground is affected by them)
The pressure regulator should be the first interruption in the incoming supply and the tee for the washer hose should be after that. That's an example of another trade doing something that makes the electrical work more difficult, or impossible, to bring into compliance.

</rant>

Can you put the clamp on the supply side of the regulator and still be far enough from the earth? I would go there.

so which way will it likely travel 1st if it is energized,washer, main line toward regulator or earth?
Electricity will follow all paths of resistance to ground. Aren't you using this clamp and conductor to bond the water pipe to an earth ground established at the service entrance, so that any stray voltage on the water pipes will have a way to drain off?

Last edited by pcboss; 12-02-12 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-01-12, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
It (Al)then would be 4" from earth (not allowed )...

I believe that only pertains to aluminum wiring outside in the weather.

Old 12-01-12, 03:17 PM
so i could then put it where its 4" from earth under home at main pipe entrance as seen in pic? since its not outside

Old 12-01-12, 03:25 PM
Group Moderator
I was trying to find out. I'm working today.....limited access

Old 12-01-12, 11:10 PM
I did find something under a "code refresher "section on GEC with reference similar to what you stated-WHEN USED OUTSIDE-[ATTACH=CONFIG]6281[/ATTACH]
If this stand true than i will be moving it to the closer, lower location(main incoming pipe INSIDE crawlspace) right before the 'T"..

Attached Images  
Old 12-01-12, 11:13 PM
Group Moderator
Yes......that's what I understand it to be.

Old 12-02-12, 05:57 AM
Has the water meter and regulator had a jumpers installed around them?Why run Al to start with?

Old 12-02-12, 09:19 AM
already had over 30 ft of it already there and had to extend.8 ft. and yes reg is jumpered even though its after the ground connection.

Old 12-02-12, 09:12 PM
Here is a rough diagram of the gec and jumper on the copper line.it is going toward water heater.Wasnt sure since pressure regulator is over 11ft-after- the GEC connection(4 ft from entrance) if it had to be jumpered.Do i also need to jumper the pipes at water heater?[ATTACH=CONFIG]6312[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 12-03-12, 12:39 AM
Group Moderator
What you are trying to accomplish is:

# 1 Ground electric panel to cold water line before any disconnectable device. Which looks like you've done.

# 2 Your water piping derives its ground from the same place the electric panel does BUT if you remove the water meter or the hot water heater then that ground to the plumbing system can be lost. That's why a jumper is now required on those two devices.

Old 12-03-12, 08:09 AM
# 2 Your water piping derives its ground from the same place the electric panel does BUT if you remove the water meter or the hot water heater then that ground to the plumbing system can be lost. That's why a jumper is now required on those two devices.
My hot water supply starts at the water heater and is therefore useless as a source of ground. My cold water supply starts outside, underground, at the water company's meter, and is an excellent source of ground.

The cold water supply to the water heater is made with a tee, which is the first fitting, other than the odd elbow or two, the shutoff valve and the pressure regulator, after the supply enters the house. The piping continues without interruption beyond the heater, and both the cold water inlet and the hot water outlet pipes are electrically isolated from the heater. Removing or replacing the water heater does not interrupt the piping, even momentarily. What purpose does a jumper serve there, and, if it is required, how is it supposed to be installed?

Should it bond the two sections of the cold supply across the tee for the inlet, or bond the hot water outlet to the cold water inlet, or all three? And what is it's purpose? To ensure a continuous path from the earth ground provided by the buried feed from the meter, or to ensure a continuous path from the piping to the earth ground provided by the GEC conductor to the system ground established at the service entrance, so that any potential which finds its way onto the piping will have a lower-resistance path to ground at the SE GEC than it would by following the cold water supply toward the street?

Old 12-03-12, 03:20 PM
Great question..wondered that also....
Im just going the jumper the copper pipes there at water heater just to play it safe and for if i get an inspection. Got it jumpered at regulator too-pic.Does gas line -there in pic-have to be bonded or grounded,etc ?Name:  IMAG0207.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  23.3 KBName:  IMAG0200.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  25.9 KB

Old 12-03-12, 04:08 PM
Does gas line -there in pic-have to be bonded or grounded,etc?
IDK, frankly. It seems to vary by jurisdiction, if not by inspector. I would ask them.