Modifying a case to include power outlets inside

Old 11-28-12, 04:45 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Modifying a case to include power outlets inside

I hope this is the right place to post this question.

I have a flight case for some DJ decks that I would like to modify to have an IEC chassis socket on the side, which will then provide power to 3 devices that normally have mains plugs.

What components do I need to achieve this?

Fused Snap-In IEC Chassis Plug with Switch : UK and European Mains Power Connectors : Maplin Electronics

I found the above which would be ideal to have on the back of the case. How do I then go about supplying 3 cables from that? Would I need a junction box inside? I am quite limited for space.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by pcboss; 11-28-12 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-28-12, 07:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
If you install the IEC chassis jacks on your DJ case....how will you connect your other 3 devices that still have mains plugs on them ?
You would have to make up IEC female to IEC female power cords.

I rent and operate pro sound systems. I use a 4" square electrical box with a double receptacle plate and 25' of 12-3 SJ cord. I even have a pilot lamp to verify power quickly. I have like six to eight of these boxes. I have to watch them as everyone wants one of their own.

Old 11-28-12, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Would it not be more simple and safer to purchase a decent quality approved
power bar and attach it to the case.

Old 11-28-12, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I rent and operate pro sound systems. I use a 4" square electrical box with a double receptacle plate and 25' of 12-3 SJ cord. I even have a pilot lamp to verify power quickly. I have like six to eight of these boxes. I have to watch them as everyone wants one of their own.
I don't think you're allowed to use handy boxes because they don't have a threaded hub.

Old 11-28-12, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
I use 4" square (1900 type) boxes and Kellem type grips. Very expensive ! The internal locknuts are tack welded to the boxes. I don't fool around.

Attached Images  
Old 11-28-12, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Danlewy.....if you want to do what I think you want to do.....there is nothing "out of the box" for it. You have a DJ coffin and want one connecting plug to the mains instead of three.

Here's what I did. I'm assuming your gear has the IEC chassis jacks mounted to the back. Most mixers and CD players are like that.

I buy those cables by the case. I took three cables and cut the mains plug off leaving the female IEC plug attached. I then took another power cord and cut off the IEC female end leaving the mains plug attached. I took a small aluminum diecast junction box and installed four grommets. I brought all four cables into that box and spliced them together. The grounds are connected to the junction box.

This is a very specific modification for a very specific need. I have two coffins setup like this.

Attached Images  
Old 11-30-12, 07:02 PM
I use 4" square (1900 type) boxes and Kellem type grips. Very expensive ! The internal locknuts are tack welded to the boxes. I don't fool around.
Now we're talking. I was thinking some homebrew contraption using a two-screw clamp barely hanging in there. Sorry for doubting you.

Old 11-30-12, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
No problem....I know when I hear 1900 j box quads it's like.....

Old 12-01-12, 06:56 AM
D
The OP is located in the UK, so all the recommendations on parts to use need to be adapted to what is available in the UK.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: