Wiring Questions

Old 11-25-12, 06:43 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring Questions

Hello my first time here.

I just move into a new house and I was shock on what I saw with the wiring through out the house. While I am not an electrician, I do know a little about wiring since I was in the AC/heating business. But it's been a while since I did some wring and I am sure many of the codes have change over the years. I appreciate any tips and help.

The house is wired with old and new BX cables. Many of the 14/2 were mix with 12/2 wiring. I also notice that many of the 12/2 wiring were on 15 amp breakers. I removed most of old BX cables and replace them with romex 12/2 and replace the breakers with 20 amp. The 14/2 wiring is on 15 amp breakers.

Please tell me if I did this correctly, a dedicated line to the sump pump, Stove(with range hood), Refrigerator (12/2 20a), Gas furnace (14/2 15a), Washing machine(12/2 20a) and Dryer (10/3 DP 30a).

I'm going to run a dedicated 12/2 GFCI line to the bath room. There is already a ceiling fan light with a switch, but no outlets. I though running another line to the bathroom would be the best thing to do.

I am also a firm believer running lights and receptacles on their own separate lines. However, will it be okay to run one 100w light off a 12/2 line with 3 receptacles in the room? This is a small computer room with a wireless router, all in one printer and cable modem.

BTW is it okay to use 15a receptacles on a 20a line? Someone told me I should be using 20a receptacles. I already replace all the old outlets with 15a receptacles on the 20a lines.

I have more questions later, but I would like to finish the downstairs first. Thanks.

Old 11-25-12, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Welcome to the forum

However, will it be okay to run one 100w light off a 12/2 line with 3 receptacles in the room? This is a small computer room with a wireless router, all in one printer and cable modem.
Sure.....that would be fine.

Sounds like you're doing a great job. Everything sounds logical and sound.

You can use 15 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit. They are rated for 20 amps of pass thr current but we prefer to make joints up and leave single tails out to the receptacles.

Old 11-26-12, 07:36 PM
D
Thank you Max. I'm sure I will be back with more questions.

Old 11-29-12, 04:55 PM
D
I have a stupid question about the dryer. But I need to be sure about this, especially when working with a 3 wire line.

Question 1: While I ran a new dedicated 10/3 line to the dryer from the panel, I didn't complete the connection on both ends yet. I still have the old BX cable to remove. However, before I remove the old line and install the new one, I should KILL the MAIN SWITCH. Even though I turned off the dryer circuit breaker, the third red wire is still live from the outside line, correct?

PLEASE NOTE: The previous owner relocated the circuit breaker panel box from the basement to an above enclosed porch. I believed to protect the panel box from floods. However, any wires in the basement were re-spliced in large splice box (which is still in the basement) and then continue to the main circuit panel box. The upper wires for the house run directly from the panel box. The distance of the splice box in the basement and main panel box in the porch is about 4 feet. I hope I was clear what this look like? I know it sound confusion. I am not thrilled about this splice box in the basement. I just want to described what I am dealing with here.

Question 2: The old dryer line is coming from the splice box. When I remove the old BX wire, would you run the new wire back to the splice box or by pass and continue to the circuit panel in the porch? I left extra wire in case I want to run to the main panel. I am using romex instead of BX.

Last edited by Donek; 11-29-12 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-29-12, 07:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
The dryer circuit breaker should be a two pole 30 amp breaker. It should shut off both hot lines to the dryer.

You should have a way of checking for AC power since you're doing wiring updates. A pocket type non-contact checker is good to see if there is AC present in what you're working on.

Running a 10/3 romex cable for the dryer is perfect. Use a four prong power cord and receptacle for connections. If the dryer currently uses three.....now is the perfect time to upgrade for safety. I would run that new dryer line directly to the panel and not use the junction box.

Old 11-29-12, 08:28 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Old wireing does not need to be fully removed. It can be abandoned in place by cutting off enough on both ends so it can't be reconnected. If possible push the remainder into the wall cavity.

You really need to have an analog multimeter in addition to the non contact tester because the latter often gives misleading results.

Old 11-29-12, 10:02 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I removed most of old BX cables and replace them with romex 12/2 and replace the breakers with 20 amp.
What jurisdiction to you live in? Some parts of the state require all electrical wiring to be installed in conduit. All five boroughs of the city require that, IIRC.

Old 11-30-12, 06:04 AM
D
Hello, @Nashkat1... I'm outside the 5 boroughs and don't need to use conduit. I spoke to someone and they said BX is use for commercial and running romex is recommended in residential areas.

@Ray... I figured it would be neater and less wiring running all over the place if I removed the old BX lines. An yes, I will get a better tester while I am making the new upgrades. Thanks

@Max... I did run a double pole 30a for the dryer. I wasn't sure if I need to kill the main when working with a 3 wire line. But I will test the line before I begin any work after I turn off the DP breaker.

As for the dryer cord, I did purchase a 3 wire cord when I made the order. The salesman told me to use 3 prong. I never gave this any thought as I always use 3 prong in the past. So it is recommended I use a 4 prong instead of 3? I don't have the dryer specs or what is recommended since the dryer wont arrive until next week.

I was planning on bypassing the junction box, I was waiting for some suggestions. Any new line I add or replace will bypass the box and go directly to the panel box. Thank you.

Old 11-30-12, 07:22 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I don't have the dryer specs or what is recommended since the dryer wont arrive until next week.
Four prong is modern code. Note when you ran 10-3 there are four wires so four prongs on the plug. The dryer may need to changed internally for 4-wire. Follow manufacturers instructions but basically you remove the jumper between the ground and neutral and attach the cord ground to the case instead of the jumper..

Old 12-03-12, 08:32 AM
D
Thanks, I returned the 3 cord and got a 10/4 30a dryer cord. I also got the 4 prong receptacle as well. It was easy enough. The wiring installation is coming along nicely. But got alot to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: