Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wiring convention for multi-conductor cable labeled IAW ICEA method 4

Old 12-02-12, 04:53 AM

So I have an #8 THHN/THWN multi conductor cable labeled in accordance with ICEA method 4. There are 3 insulated #8 conductors all colored black and with printed labeling to identify the conductor number ("1 ONE", "2 TWO", "3 THREE"). From my reading of the ICEA docs, this is method 4 (basically, the conductors are numbered, not colored). There is also an uninsulated (bare) #10 ground, so a total of 4 conductors.

My question is, is there a convention for which 2 conductors should be hot and which should be neutral? And do I have to put colored tape on what would be the white and red at each end of the run? It's only a 10ft run, from my electrical panel to a Reliant Controls generator power inlet box thingy.

The ICEA method 1 table E-2, and method 3 both have conductor 1=black, 2=white, 3=red, so my guess would be to follow that, but nowhere is it stated explicitly what the convention is for method 4. See:

http://www.houwire.com/pdf/color_codes.pdf

No, I'm not back feeding; I have an interlock kit installed on the electrical panel.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-12, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.....tape wire # 2 white. That makes the most sense.