Thermostat Outlet

Old 12-03-12, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat Outlet

In my garage, I have a heater plugged into an outlet(that I installed) however it does not have a thermostat, and I bought a electric baseboard heater thermostat. I want to be able to wire the thermostat so that it controls the outlet, essentially turning the heater off and on.

I have both the lead power coming in from panel, and the wire to the outlet both in a wall box already, on the opposite side of the garage. My thermostat has 2 black wires. I tried connecting one black from thermostat to hot coming in, and the other black wire on thermostat to hot on outlet and tied whites together, and grounds together. My thermostat displays nothing, and outlet is on all the time.

Can someone please help?

Here are what I am working with:
Heater - Comfort Zone CZQTV5M Ceiling Mounted Quartz Heater with Light
Thermostat - Shop Honeywell Baseboard Heat Digital Non-Programmable Thermostat at Lowes.com=

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-12, 10:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 375 Votes on 352 Posts
According the troubleshooting chart you have it wired wrong but you don't.

Looks like it may be a bad thermostat. Did you try it on both hi and low heater settings ?

Old 12-03-12, 10:36 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Unless the thermostat has a battery the heater must be on for the thermostat to work. With no neutral for the thermostat it probably relies on a trickle of power through the heater to power the electronics inside. The heater at your link has a built in thermostat if either the built in thermostat or a switch on the heater is open the baseboard thermostat won't work.

Old 12-03-12, 10:39 PM
It's a brand new one thermostat, but I guess it could be a bad one.

Old 12-03-12, 10:40 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
We posted at the same time. See my post above yours.

Old 12-03-12, 10:44 PM
The heater does not have a thermostat. It has a switch to change between 750 watts and 1500 watts. I want to be able to let it switched at 1500 watts, and have the thermostat turn the outlet on, essentially turning the heater on. I liked that this thermostat has a digital display of room temp, and able to control set temp. As opposed to the normal rotary dial baseboard thermostats. Is there a way that I can make this thermostat work? Or is there a similar one I can buy that will work?

Old 12-03-12, 11:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 375 Votes on 352 Posts
I normally use the Honeywell digital baseboard thermostats but they only work on 240 vac.

I found several others online that work exactly like yours......two wire, no battery, non programable but I'm not sure if those will work where yours wont.

Had you tried yours on low ?

Old 12-04-12, 06:37 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
I tried connecting one black from thermostat to hot coming in, and the other black wire on thermostat to hot on outlet and tied whites together, and grounds together. My thermostat displays nothing, and outlet is on all the time.
Was the heater plugged into the outlet when you tried the thermostat? I believe for the thermostat to work properly the heater will have to be in and remain in the circuit.