Neutral and 3-way Switch Boxes?

Old 12-05-12, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
Neutral and 3-way Switch Boxes?

With 3-ways do you need a neutral in both switch boxes (residential)? If so and you are using four conductor cable between switches to provide the second neutral can you use xx-2/2 instead of xx-4 and just redesignate the gray "hot"?

Anybody had interaction with an inspector regarding this new rule?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-12, 12:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have not had this issue yet so I can't say how the inpsector thought about this.

If you stick to power into SW1 to SW2 to LT1, you will already have the neutral needed at the switches.

BTW, there are exceptions where the neutral is not required, but you need to be able to add it later. This is pretty much ruled out in any area that is finished on both sides.

Old 12-05-12, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
Mainly asking to help me answer questions here. Especially where power is already at the light or poster insists on running to the light first and assuming the switches are to be connected by cable not conduit.

Old 12-05-12, 03:05 PM
I haven't run into that and therefore haven't brought it up with any of the local jurisdictions. I would only do it if they gave me a green flag first.

The problem I see with it is that there would be a neutral in one of the cables serving three hot wires, two of which are in the other raceway.

Old 12-05-12, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
The problem I see with it is that there would be a neutral in one of the cables serving three hot wires, two of which are in the other raceway.
I believe you misunderstood. By xx-2/2 I meant a 4-conductor cable with white, gray, black, black with white stripe, and ground. From somethings I have read on the net Home Depot caries xx-2/2 but not xx-4.

Old 12-05-12, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Code allows the re-identifying of the neutral conductor in cables. So yes, you can use xx/2/2 NM-b cable and re-identify one of the neutrals as a hot conductor. The other white can stay as a neutral to satisfy the 2011 code to have a neutral in every box.

Just an FYI: Around me the 14/2/2 cable available is colored black,red,white,white with a red stripe.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 12-05-12 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Add info for clairtity
Old 12-05-12, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Never actually seen it. Thanks for the colors.

Old 12-05-12, 09:35 PM
By xx-2/2 I meant a 4-conductor cable with white, gray, black, black with white stripe, and ground. From somethings I have read on the net Home Depot caries xx-2/2 but not xx-4.
You're right - I never heard of that stuff. But yes, that would work.

Now I've got a reason to stop by HD.