Handyman estimate pricing per foot? (I'm the handyman)

Old 12-05-12, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Handyman estimate pricing per foot? (I'm the handyman)

So recently I've been doing some handyman work on the side for extra cash. Its turning out actually much better than I thought it would. I've got tons of work.

I'm now trying to streamline some of my processes to make things easier on myself. When I am estimating electrical work, is it reasonable to just charge a per foot price? This price would be high enough to cover most romex 14/2 14/3 12/2 12/3, wire nuts, gang boxes etc....

So if it were say $1.25 per foot for 14/2 work...

is this idea totally ridiculous? Am I setting myself or my customer up for a loss?
Just seems simpler than saying "25ft of 14/2 @ .40 per foot... 1 single gang @ 2.98, a piece of conduit @ 4.00, etc".

Any suggestions? I was thinking of this estimation model for plumbing work too to avoid having to try and itemize in my head how manx 90's, p traps, etc.... plus the cost of glue, etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-12, 06:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Before this goes any farther you need to check the licensing requirements in order to install electrical work. Many areas require only a licensed professional to install electrical wiring.

Old 12-05-12, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
First off I should point out that many states/cities require that residential electrical work is either done by the homeowner, or a licensed electrician/electrical contractor. And commercial electrical work done only by licensed electricians/electrical contractors. Also, said electrical with the exception of minor maintenance work, will require a permit(s).

Info from your state found here: Maryland
"General construction contractors don't need a license to work in Maryland. You will need a license to do electrical, plumbing or HVACR contracting, or work on home improvement projects."

To your question, we just count and multiply.
Example:
4 Duplex receptacles @ $30 ea
6 cans @ $50 ea
3 switches @ $25 ea
Total: $495

By figuring by each opening, or device, you come up with a number that will also cover the cost of the cable, straps, and labor to install. Then add other special things like AFCIs, GFCIs, hanging a fan, extra long drive, etc.

Old 12-05-12, 07:20 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
To your question, we just count and multiply.
Example:
4 Duplex receptacles @ $30 ea
6 cans @ $50 ea
3 switches @ $25 ea
Total: $495
Unit pricing is the way to go for quick down and dirty estimates assuming there are no special or unusual conditions, but the example prices look pretty cheap to me.

Old 12-05-12, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Prices were only for example only. I would never post our real prices.

Old 12-06-12, 05:51 AM
Thanks! I wasn't thinking in terms of unit pricing. That makes total sense. Much appreciation.

Old 12-06-12, 07:11 AM
So, are you licensed to do any of this work?