Wiring a light switch in the middle of 4 lights???

Old 12-06-12, 06:02 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring a light switch in the middle of 4 lights???

Good morning,
This website is so great, I have used it so many times. I am stumped with my situation here. I am putting four lights in my crawl space and have a question about the wiring. I am trying to save on wire, so I was hoping my setup could be like this:

Power----junction box---Light 1---Light 2
|
Light switch---Light 3---Light 4

(I hope this mini diagram makes sense). Essentially the light switch would turn the four lights off and on. I am not sure this is even possible, but I thought I would ask.

If anyone has any ideas, can you please shed some light on this? It would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

Old 12-06-12, 06:55 AM
E
Looks like the diagram got moved a bit, I should clarify. The power supply would go right into the junction box and the junction would split to lights 1 and 2 and the light switch. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 12-06-12, 07:58 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
A lot simpler to go to the switch first. With your plan you would need to use 3-conductor cable not two conductor cable and the cost would be the same or more then if you just ran power to the switch first.

Old 12-06-12, 10:33 AM
E
Thanks, I figured it would be much easier to run the lights after the switch, but thought I would ask some of the professionals on here, thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: