Making my own "Power Strip"?

Old 12-07-12, 10:01 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Making my own "Power Strip"?

I just bought most of the parts to make my own power strip (Minus the outlets & Cover Plates) My main question is can I use the Leviton BR15-W with stranded 14 Gage wire? I have lots of THHN/THWN left over from another project. and is that a good choice for the outlet? If not what is a good outlet to use? I also want a switch in one of the 4 gang boxes I bought (I am going to attach the two boxes together) So what is a good heavy duty SPST switch? and is a normal light switch rated to switch on/off outlets?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-12, 05:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yes, you can use that receptacle with stranded. Just insert the stripped portion in one of the holes in the back and tighten the corresponding screw.

I know there has to be a good reason for you to spend that kind of money and time on something you can buy already made with circuit protection, switch, etc. for $39

Old 12-08-12, 06:31 AM
The reason for making my own is most of the newer prebuilt ones are made out of plastic with cheap molded outlets and most only have 6 outlets. I also wanted something I could solidly mount on my big computer desk/Hutch (I am going to cut a hole in the desk for the box and then put a cover plate over it)

Old 12-08-12, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have a look at these: Amazon.com: Belkin 10-Socket Metal SurgeMaster: Electronics

I've been using them for years. Also available at the big box.

Old 12-08-12, 11:04 AM
To Rick Johnston
How do you like that power strip? and does it have an actual mounting system?
I am asking because I hate those keyhole mounting that the cheap power strips have

Old 12-08-12, 11:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
That Belkin power strip looks like it has metal ears which I'm sure could be drilled through for screws.

After having made some 'custom' power strips myself, I've found that getting a couple off-the-shelf ones are easier and typically safer. When I need to mount them permanently, I use the keyhole mounts as well as a pair of zip ties with mounting holes. It may not look as 'professional', but it's easy

Old 12-08-12, 12:21 PM
I may sound stupid but where do you get the zip ties with the mounting holes? and how do go about attaching them? Another question why can't pre made strips have a more permanent mounting option? I had one from the late 1970's that was made out of heavy duty metal and had 12 Outlets and mounting ears with screw holes (From the factory!)
Anyway I am making a home made power box for my desk/hutch and I am going to make it look exactly like the outlets look in a finished house (You will only see the cover plates and the outlets, the boxes will be behind the desk)

Old 12-08-12, 01:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The only problem I see with making my own and using duplex receptacles, is the crowding of the receptacles. Some of the wall warts will take up both halves of the receptacle. On many of the "thought out" strips, this has been taken into account and the individual receptacles are spaced a little differently and/or turned in different directions, like this one. Belkin HomeOffice Series Surge Protector With 8 Outlets EthernetCoaxial Protection And 12 Cord by Office Depot

Old 12-08-12, 02:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
where do you get the zip ties with the mounting holes?
McMaster-Carr

I think I may have seen them at the big box store too... but I'm not certain.

Old 12-08-12, 04:10 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I also wanted something I could solidly mount on my big computer desk/Hutch (I am going to cut a hole in the desk for the box and then put a cover plate over it)
I like to use boxes such as these from Hubbell and these from ECA to mount power and data outlets in furniture.