Mixing conduit from an power inlet box

Old 12-08-12, 05:51 AM
Mixing conduit from an power inlet box

Hi,

I'm installing a power inlet box on the outside of my home, it will be coming directly into my basement and then (with some bends) to a transfer switch. I've drilled the hole and will be using 3/4" EMT from the box to the inside. Once there, however, I face a lot of snaking to get to the switch. I'd rather not use EMT on the interior, I don't have a pipe bender and it will be difficult to run the rest of the EMT conduit.

I was thinking that I could run the EMT from the inlet box into a metal box with an exit using non-metallic flexible conduit - I have some of that blue Carlon leftover from another project (1/2" I believe). Any problems with that?

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-12, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
So long as you run a ground wire and ground any metal boxes there shouldn't be. You are using THWN, correct?

Old 12-08-12, 07:14 AM
Yes sir, THWN from the outlet to the interior box. Was going to use some left over 10-3 (interior) from the metal box to the switch though...

Old 12-08-12, 07:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Why not just use NM the whole way? The NM can enter the back of the inlet box.

Old 12-08-12, 07:40 AM
I didn't think the NM (blue/flexible) was rated for outdoor use. And I have some EMT....

Old 12-08-12, 07:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the conduit is going right into the back of the inlet you do not need the cable or conduit to be rated for the wet environment.

Old 12-08-12, 07:57 AM
Thanks - I didn't realize that! I've already drilled a 3/4" hole through the wall and have the EMT in place so I'll use that, go to an interior box and exit with the 1/2 flex. I'll use my existing 10-3 cable throughout, no need to buy a short run of THWN.

Old 12-08-12, 08:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your hole may need to be larger to allow the connector to fit.

Old 12-09-12, 07:01 AM
I didn't think the NM (blue/flexible) was rated for outdoor use.
NM is non-metallic cable (aka Romex). The blue flexible conduit is ENT and not needed. From the indoor box, just run the NM cable indoors to the transfer switch.

Old 12-09-12, 07:18 AM
Great - thanks for the info, that makes things easier.

Regarding grounding - the Power Inlet box has a grounding wire from the inlet to the box itself. I was going to ground the NM ground wire to that same terminal and then ground it to the interior metal box with one of the screws that is attaching the interior box (again, this frist run from the outside is running through EMT). I'll splice the NM in the metal box and exit the run to the transfer switch. Should I splice the ground wires as well or just ground the exit run the same way as the first run?

Old 12-09-12, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
All the grounds need to connect together and to any metallic boxes. The boxes should have tapped holes for a 10-32 screw.