Bath Fan Advice

Old 12-11-12, 09:28 AM
Bath Fan Advice

I have a new Panasonic Fan for the bath. Vent up through roof. Outside the bath I have a switch to turn the light on. Inside the bath I have a GFI near the sink (switch is almost directly across from outlet). The fan has 3 wires.
1. Fan
2. Light
3. Night Light (don't think I will use)

I have access from attic. (Pic) I have two blacks/two whites/ground and a red that was capped off and just sitting capped when I took off the existing light. Those all fed into the old light.

The junction box for the fan is tiny, should I put all the wires in a junction box and pig tail one out? Looking for some advice/recommendations.

Not sure what to do with the red.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-12, 09:52 AM
Temporarily Suspended
You can do that. Why should it be a problem? Leave the red capped.

Old 12-11-12, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
What is the wiring at the switch. Do you plan to have a switch for each function?

Old 12-11-12, 10:18 AM
I was thinking about the existing wires to the light. Then run another from a timer up to the fan. That work ok?

Just cap off the night light in fan junction box?

Old 12-11-12, 10:25 AM
Temporarily Suspended
That's a good point. If you want the functions separated, you can't tie everything together.

Old 12-11-12, 10:45 AM
I have two blacks/two whites/ground and a red that was capped off and just sitting capped when I took off the existing light. Those all fed into the old light.
Your new unit is a combo fan/light/night light. What was the unit you removed and how was it connected?

Outside the bath I have a switch to turn the light on... I was thinking about the existing wires to the light. Then run another from a timer up to the fan... Not sure what to do with the red.
Originally Posted by ray2047
What is the wiring at the switch.
and where are you thinking of mounting the timer? If you're planning to put the timer next to the light switch, and if the 3-conductor cable runs from the switch to the light, you may be able to just use the red wire to connect the timer to the fan.

Old 12-12-12, 06:47 AM
The unit I removed was just a overhead light.

I was thinking about putting the timer inside the bath by the outlet. Snake it down through the wall and I don't know, is there a two outlet/timer box. So I could have the GFI/Timer in the same box?

Timer inside by the switch.

Sorry...so what does the red wire do? I haven't run in to it really so I don't know its function/uses. (give me dummies ver.) Thanks.

Old 12-12-12, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
Except for three way switching circuits (prior to 2011 code) generally black is return for one load and red is return for a second load. Example: Black to light and red to fan.*

Timers that fit in a single gang box are common so if you replace the single gang box you would have room for a timer and a switch. Before the new box goes in you will have a nice hand size hole to fish to if needed.

*If you need a neutral for the timer and it is a switch loop then Black is power in and red is power out and only one load can be controlled unless a cable is added or changed.

Old 12-12-12, 07:52 PM
what does the red wire do? I haven't run in to it really so I don't know its function/uses. (give me dummies ver.)
We don't know what the red wire does, or was intended to do, and we can't know that without more information. The first piece of information we need, which may tell us all we need to know, is
Originally Posted by ray2047
What is the wiring at the switch.
Turn the power off at the breaker, uncover the switch and pull it out of its box. Tell us how many cables enter that box; how many wires, by color, are in each cable; and how each wire is terminated.

Post a picture of it if you want to.

You can have the timer next to the GFCI or next to the switch, or have all three of them together. Which do you prefer?