What gauge wires in standard home outlets and switches?


Old 12-11-12, 11:29 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 3
What gauge wires in standard home outlets and switches?

I would like to get the perfect size strippers for replacing these items, but they couldn't tell me at lowes. I keep stripping wire.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-12, 12:08 AM
Nashkat1's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 8,470
Welcome to the forums!

Gotta love the expertise of the Big Box associates. HD seems to do better, most of the time.

To answer your question, 14, 12 and, occasionally, 10 AWG, usually solid. Light fixtures sometimes have conductors that are 16 or 18 AWG, stranded. That's true for lamp cord, as well.

What you need is something like a Klein Tools Kurve Wire Stripper/Cutter.
Old 12-12-12, 04:10 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,968
For strictly residential wiring (14 and 12 gauge NM) I like to use these. Kurve Dual Non-Metallic Cable Stripper/Cutter-K1412 at The Home Depot

They not only strip the individual wires, they strip the casing off the NM, and cut, too. Sort of an all around tool for residential work. Go to a smaller or larger wire size, and you will need to use a different stripper.

Last edited by chandler; 12-12-12 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-12-12, 06:47 AM
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 994
If you happen to have a crimping tool, they usually can strip wire. Mine will do from 22 AWG to about 10 AWG. But if I didn't have the crimper, I'd use something like the suggested Klein tool.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes