Routing basement wiring

Old 12-08-12, 11:57 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Routing basement wiring

I'm (slowly) finishing off part of my basement and have replaced the bottom stair with a platform that terminates at the wall in front and on the right and opens to the room on the right. Is it okay run my electrical under this platform (and possibly through one of the stringers?)

Old 12-08-12, 12:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Where will your "electrical" terminate? From what you have given us, it will terminate at the floor. Elaborate on what you have planned. You can run electrical along stringers, but it could make a difference where you turn them out.

Old 12-08-12, 02:59 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
If you're trying to run cables from the wall to the ares under the stairs, you could run them through the framing for the landing. But then you'll have to protect them in the area under the stairs. Where are you trying to get from and to? Is there a reason that running around the corner in the wall won't work?

Old 12-09-12, 08:58 AM
S
If walking down the stairs, I'm trying to get power from the panel on the right side of the basement to the wall on the left side of the stairs. Running it under the landing seems to be the shortest path, though I would also have to run it back (or split it at an outlet at the bottom of the stairs?)because that circuit will also power the outside wall. Note that this house was built in the 60's and is mainly wired with 2 wire...no ground. My original plan was to simply pull the power from the workshop on the other side of the wall, but being "groundless" it would seem I have to upgrade that whole circuit and rewire 3 outlets, 3 lights and a switch.

Old 12-09-12, 09:36 PM
The shortest path is not always the best path. If you need to rewire to add EGCs to your circuits, and your panel is in the basement, you should do that before finishing the basement.

To answer your original question, can you run the wire through the ceiling?

Last edited by Nashkat1; 12-10-12 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-10-12, 03:49 PM
S
I'm going for a pub feel, so I'm keeping the ceiling open and as such, the only electrical I want showing in the ceiling, is that which which will run to the ceiling light (which I presume will have to be in conduit because it's exposed in a finished area.) So, the short answer is, yes it will run throught the joists from the panel to the point that it reaches the room being finished, but then everything has to be buried in the walls...otherwise it would be too easy.

Old 12-10-12, 04:33 PM
I'm going for a pub feel, so I'm keeping the ceiling open and as such, the only electrical I want showing in the ceiling, is that which which will run to the ceiling light (which I presume will have to be in conduit because it's exposed in a finished area.)
The wiring does not have to be in conduit unless it would be subject to damage or your local jurisdiction has a special provision.

I think some pipes, conduit, cable, etc. in the ceiling would only enhance the pub feel, but that's just me.

How are you planning to rewire the main floor without running cables through the basement ceiling?

Old 12-12-12, 06:01 PM
S
I agree that, if nothing else, the conduit will look better. There is no wiring issue with the main floor (at as far as this project is concerned) except for rewiring the light switch for the basement to be 3-way. The outside basement wall is the easiest as it's closest to the panel and I can run through the joists on the unfinished side until I hit the center wall, then drop in through there. To wire the middle wall (opposite the outside wall) I'm going to run around the entire basement and enter from the far side so that I can tap into it sometime to power that part of the basement. The tricky part may be getting around the 2 center columns. I've boxed these in so they look like posts. I'm wondering if I can run through these if I leave myself room. (I've left the back side open until I know.)

Old 12-12-12, 08:49 PM
The tricky part may be getting around the 2 center columns. I've boxed these in so they look like posts. I'm wondering if I can run through these if I leave myself room. (I've left the back side open until I know.)
Without being able to see it, I'm imagining you could make that work. You just have to keep the cables protected from any penetration by nails or other fasteners.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: