Door bell wiring 4 colors?

Old 12-12-12, 05:18 AM
Door bell wiring 4 colors?

New to us house, no doorbell (just one wire with 4 color wires coming out of it, red, green, black & yellow coming out of hole where doorbell is to be mounted.

Also, no chime, just the same wire coming out by the transformer (which is mounted right behind where the chime box would go.

Transformer is wired in (we'll just assume it's working at this point), just not hooked up to the 1 wire w/4 colors.

I have purchased new wired doorbell and chime set. Which wires attach to what?

All the diagrams I see have only 2 wires, I have 4 to hook up.

Edited to add that I only need a bell at this door.
Speak slowly, I am a wiring dummy.......

THANK YOU!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-12, 06:45 AM
Somewhere in the scheme you should see 2 of those 4 conductor cables. Either at the transformer or at the chime or rarely at the button, or it might be looped in and out of the wall at the chime location. Do you see anything like that?

Old 12-12-12, 07:04 AM
It sounds like they used phone cable (CAT3) to wire the door bell. More than likely it was the cheapest cable or cable they just happened to have available/on hand.
Odds are only 2 wires are needed, and the other 2 are just there.
What I would do is go to the end where the transformer is located, connect (twist) the wires together in pairs (i.e. connect red to green and black to yellow). At the other end, use a multi-meter to check the continuity (confirm they are connected). If both pairs test good, pick one pair and wire as per the instructions of your new door bell.
If the new bell comes with its own transformer, remove the existing one and use the new one. That will save any guessing or straying from the instructions.

Donno why people take the door bells. I'm in the same situation with a push button at two out of 4 doors, but the previous owner took the chime (left the old transformer behind).

Old 12-12-12, 07:06 AM
No just one conductor cable at each location

one coming out next to transformer and one coming out hole where doorbell would be mounted.

Old 12-12-12, 07:18 AM
Group Moderator
What is a a one conductor cable? By definition a cable has two or more conductors and earlier you said it had four conductors. Do you mean there is a single cable with four wires? That would be expected and correct.

Here is a basic diagram"

And a slightly different one but the wiring is the same:

While the diagram shows only two wires it would be the same for four conductor cable. Only two wires would of the four would be used. be used.

Old 12-12-12, 07:30 AM
Sorry, 1 cable with 4 colored wires inside

What do I do with the unused wires?

Old 12-12-12, 07:40 AM
Group Moderator
Assuming Cat3 I always "twin" them. In other words I use two twisted together and use as a single wire because the wires in Cat3 are a bit small for door chimes. You could also just not use them but I wouldn't cut them off. If one of the wires you choose to use fails in the future you can use one of the unused wires.

Please note in dooer bell wiring color code selection is totally up to the whims of the installer. If I was doing it I would twist red and green together and use as one wire and black and yellow together to use as the other wire.

Old 12-12-12, 07:41 AM
What do I do with the unused wires?
I'd cut off any exposed copper and tape them up good with electrical tape.

Old 12-12-12, 07:55 AM
If you only see 1 quad cable at all 3 locations, then they converge and splice at some unknown location. Hopefully you select the right color wires, usually red/green. Best clue, if the wires are not clean cut, is look for wires that are stripped and bent.

Old 12-12-12, 08:14 PM
1 cable with 4 colored wires inside... What do I do with the unused wires?
Whatever else you do, don't cut them off! You can trim the bare copper parts off though, as Northern Mike noted.

I would combine the four wires to form two, as Ray suggested. If you don't want to do that for some reason, standard practice is the wrap the unneeded wires back over the cable jacket, in a spiral, and tape the ends down to secure them.