Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can You Give Me Advice in Regard to Township Code Inspection?

Old 12-14-12, 11:20 AM

Hi:

I know very little about electric. I was able to hook up a new dishwasher that had a direct electrical connection, and I can change a light fixture, but that is about it.

I am refinancing my house. The loan was put on hold until I addressed safety issues identified by the bank. One safety issue involved a needed step in the backyard and the other was an upgraded electric panel and to have the electric meter attached properly.

An electrician took care of the electric panel upgrade, I went from 60 amps to 200 amps. The bank's appraiser will come back and reinspect. I think I should be ok there. The electrician also applied for a permit with the township. He is concerned that the code inspector may make an issue with some of the electrical work near the subpanel that the the inspector will look at.

I have attached pics of the subpanel and of the potential problem area. My question is- does the wiring look like a problem to you? can I do anything to disguise this potential problem area? Can I cover it? Encase it? I just don't want to open up a can of worms with the township.

Thank you for your advice.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-12, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Ow ow ow....that looks scary! No you can't just hide it! Why not just have the electrician who did the panel upgrade fix that junction box?

The subpanel (to these untrained, non-Pro eyes) looks pretty good...but that box is a rats nest!

Old 12-14-12, 11:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check back when the pros get off work.

The inspector may only consider the new panel, since that is what the permit covers. However, if that eyesore is near the box, the inspector may question if it was done by permit.

Hiding it could get you into real problems if something happens and it can be traced back to you concealing it.

Old 12-14-12, 12:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I quit counting at 7 errors in this junction box. It's gotta be fixed, if not for the inspector, for yourself.
1.The box is probably too small for fill purposes.
2.Grounding wires can't be attached like they are.
3.The BX coming in from the left has a hot wire hanging out in oblivion.
4 There is no cover on the box.
5 Wires are entering the box from outside the box and not through cable entries.
6 Yellow wire on top has the incorrect cable strain relief, and it is installed improperly (inside out).
7 Two cables entering from the right are obviously not captured by the strain relief, as one is turned sideways

..............and that is just one junction box.

Old 12-14-12, 12:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That junction box is overfilled. Also the box needs a cover and
the cables need to be properly grounded.

On a side note, I don't know how the bank did not know your existing service was of an adequate size and forced an upgrade. If your house was fine on a 60 amp service, a 100 would have been more than enough.

Old 12-14-12, 01:18 PM
About how much would it cost to have an electrician repair this box? I am in central NJ. Thank you.

Old 12-14-12, 01:21 PM
The house didn't "need" an upgrade. The box was an original to the 1950s house Federal Pacific. It had no master off breaker. I figured the upgrade made sense if the box had to be replaced.

Old 12-14-12, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Not to go off track...but was the wiring from the power company upgraded when the panel was? I'd find it hard to believe that conductors for 60A would be ok for 200.

Old 12-14-12, 01:51 PM
Hi. Yes, the wiring from the power company was upgraded.

Old 12-14-12, 05:20 PM
I am all for safety, but since when did appraisers start doing safety inspections? An appraiser's job is to evaluate and appraise the property, not look for code violations. If he did see and recognized some code violations, I can see how maybe his appraisal may have been slightly lower, but I really have a problem with an appraiser trying to inspect the skilled trades work.

Now, your electrician took out a permit for the service upgrade and now he's afraid the inspector may not pass the service because of the code violations in the junction box/boxes. The inspector's job is to inspect the permitted work and nothing else, he cannot legally fail to pass the service because of other code violations he may observe in the house. That being said, the inspector may be able to cause you other pains by bringing in a building inspector or fire marshal. I'd hire the electrician who upgraded the service to repair the junction box problems.

Old 12-14-12, 06:22 PM
Hi CasualJoe:

Thank you for your advice. I got another local electrician who does small jobs. I sent him the photo of the junction box and he said he could clean it up and cover it for $150. If if requires additional wiring, then it would be more. Sound reasonable?

Old 12-14-12, 07:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That sounds reasonable to take care of it, especially if you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself. I think it's a good idea to have it taken care of for both your peace of mind as well as to ensure the inspector approves everything.

You may want to have the electrician take a quick look around the house to see if there's anything else questionable that needs to be taken care of. I know it stinks paying more money, but it's pretty important to be safe.